Dell XPS 13 - Spec decision help

Marauder93

Estimable
Jul 27, 2015
Hello,

Im looking for some advice about which laptop to buy. Im looking at getting a Dell XPS 13 2015 but cant decide between two models. They both have the exact same specs, except one has 8 GB ram while the other has 4 GB ram. The 8 GB one is going to be $2-300 more than the 4GB one. I know its seems crazy to pay that much more for only 4 more GB of ram, but Im concerned about the long term speed and usability of the laptop and the fact that the ram cant be upgraded. I only use my laptop to browse the web, use Microsoft office, and steam the occasional movie, and all of my computers are 4GB now and I haven’t had any issues with speed.

So I guess my question is, will I notice a difference in speed between the 8GB and 4GB ram in 5 or 6 year from now and is it worth shelling out a bit more money now for long term usability?

Thanks for the help guys!

If your curious, here are the 2 models:

4GB: http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msca/en_CA/pdp/Dell-XPS-13-9343-2727SLV-Core-i5-128GB-Signature-Edition-Laptop/productID.312527400

8GB: http://www.dell.com/ca/p/xps-13-9343-laptop/pd?oc=nxps134_bt_b5130e&model_id=xps-13-9343-laptop

Solution
If you are planning on using that system for 5 years, yes you may as well get the 8 gig of RAM. Since the RAM looks to be onboard there is no way to upgrade it yourself so you are stuck.

I would not spend a $1,000 or more on a system like that, looks too flimsy and artsy to last good as a laptop. Take a look at the Lenovo X models.
If you are planning on using that system for 5 years, yes you may as well get the 8 gig of RAM. Since the RAM looks to be onboard there is no way to upgrade it yourself so you are stuck.

I would not spend a $1,000 or more on a system like that, looks too flimsy and artsy to last good as a laptop. Take a look at the Lenovo X models.

Solution

Marauder93

Estimable
Jul 27, 2015

Thanks for the reply! Im not too concerned about the physical durability of the laptop. Ive had my current laptop and phone for 6 years each and neither of them have a scratch on them. For me its just about the long term speed of the system. I appreciate the insight!