Oct 3, 2013
I am using an old dell xps 15 9550 with specs of

i5-6300hq

1tb nvme ssd

32gb ram

84whr battery

intel hd graphics 530

nvidia geforce gtx 960m

I see dell sites both at the moment on the site. Cost $1600+ tax for the 9510 and at least $2049 minimum for the 9520 if you want to upgrade many of the parts.

Is it worth paying much more for the 9520? The thing is the 9510 screen is OLED only... is that correct? You can't seem to change that configuration on the dell site? So that mean with the OLED screen, you going to get much less battery than a regular screen? The 9520 you could choose 1920x1200 or OLED or 4k right? I am not a fan of a display where it uses more battery.

Also is the graphics card of 3050 or 3050ti good? Im surprised how come with how much it cost, how come it isn't at least 3060? Does having a 3050 or 3050ti graphic card as oppose to 3060 mean longer battery life? What is battery hours for each of them?

Also if I want to connect 2 external monitors to the laptop, I can do this without issue or I need to buy a dock station? At the moment, connect usb c to display port cable to a 32' 4k monitor. Then I use a hdmi to dvi cable on the 24' monitor so I don't need a docking station. Could I do the same on either the 9510/9520? Now if I want to connect two monitors with 4k resolution.... at 60hz, can I do this with either of these laptops or I have to buy a docking station no matter what? These have how many usb c and/or hdmi ports?

pauly01

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2013
I notice the 9510 only has oled screen. That isn't good if you want more battery right? You can't change the processor or ram or ssd.

The xps 9520 you can make changes to configuration but it seem to cost a lot. If you want at least i7 and windows 10 pro and 32gb ddr5 and 1tb ssd, its well over 2k for it. However you could choose the 1920x1200 resolution which is probably the best of all? Would be using it connected to 2 external monitors.

Whats the big difference between not upgrading the video card and using just the intel xe or uhd graphics as oppose to the 3050? Big difference? But if you get the 3050, but turn off the graphic card and use the integrated graphic card, you still get similar battery as if you configured it without the 3050?

What do you mean intel video and not nvidia or amd? You mean the cheaper and don't upgrade one right?

So if you want to connect to 2 monitors, no issue at all? What about if each monitor is 4k resolution and you want 4k and at 60hz? Is that any issue or would you still need to buy a thunderbolt 3 displayport or docking station? Or it both has the ports for this?

Also I could use it with my old PW7015L barrel powerbank or not? You or someone mentioned you have to buy that adapter on dell site but it seem to be sold out? How long would it take to be available and if so, that would work? Because I wouldn't want to buy another powerbank and that seem to be the PW7018LC now. since I bought 2 PW7015L a while back but now they seem to use usb-c as oppose to the barrel type etc.

I want a fast laptop and being able to use it plugged in 2 external monitors while plugged in.