Dendroid 'Trojanizer' Turns Apps into Malware for Just $300

Status
Not open for further replies.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
This website bans you if you mention anything to do with downloading copyrighted materials or if you talk about hackingYEThere they are posting about hacking and how for 300$ you can become a real hacker and cause damage!tomshardware = epic fail
How is this a fail if they notify us of a real threat, tell us how easy (just $300) for any malefactor to acquire it, describe how it works and suggest what can be done to avoid being infected? No DL links have been provided to make it easier to obtain this tool and now readers know of this danger. I don't see a fail here.Though I must admit that this is annoying and I don't feel like "running an antivirus" on my phone, the poor thing is barely managing as it is (Galaxy S1 with Android 4.4) thanks to resource hog apps like FB and Skype. Antivirus will absolutely kill it. But since I don't get apps from anything but Google Play... I should be fine.

jarred125

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012
This website bans you if you mention anything to do with downloading copyrighted materials or if you talk about hackingYEThere they are posting about hacking and how for 300$ you can become a real hacker and cause damage!tomshardware = epic fail
How is this a fail if they notify us of a real threat, tell us how easy (just $300) for any malefactor to acquire it, describe how it works and suggest what can be done to avoid being infected? No DL links have been provided to make it easier to obtain this tool and now readers know of this danger. I don't see a fail here.Though I must admit that this is annoying and I don't feel like "running an antivirus" on my phone, the poor thing is barely managing as it is (Galaxy S1 with Android 4.4) thanks to resource hog apps like FB and Skype. Antivirus will absolutely kill it. But since I don't get apps from anything but Google Play... I should be fine.
1) 300$ is nothing to someone who is looking for this.2) by having an article on a mainstream site, even if no links are provided, actually promotes this product. You can find this easily by looking it up.It is a fail!
Security through obscurity is not security, Tom's posting an article about it isn't going to hurt anything. Get over it.

jakjawagon

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2010
You should also only download Android apps from the Google Play store — make sure that "Unknown sources" is unchecked in your security settings
Because there are absolutely no other legit Android app stores, like, for example, Amazon.

Status
Not open for further replies.