Solved! Denon AVR-2112CI worth servicing?

henboy

Prominent
Nov 27, 2018
Denon AVR is a 2012 model.

One or both of the TV and Cable Box HDMI ports are not working.
Unit will not reset to factory settings. Factory Tech is unable to resolve the issue.

Is it worth sending this unit in for repair? The diagnosis is $50, repair cost who knows ???

I can buy a basic new 5.1 Sony AVR for $180.

Advise appreciated!

Solution
Repair on a unit that old isn't usually cost effective.
You may still be able to use the AVR though. If you connect your sources directly to the TV with HDMI and use the optical output of the TV to get audio to the AVR it should work fine.

henboy

Prominent
Nov 27, 2018
You may still be able to use the AVR though. If you connect your sources directly to the TV with HDMI and use the optical output of the TV to get audio to the AVR it should work fine.

Thanks!
That will get me going. The TV is presently connected to the Cable Box via HDMI as you suggested. It picture works, but the sound is crappy.
What do I loose by eliminating the two HDMI TV/Denon cables?

If you have 1 working HDMI input then use it for the BD player. That can do lossless audio but only if connected with HDMI.
You do lose some quality on the BD player when using the optical output of the TV but you will still get Dolby Digital.
If you have two then use the second for the cable box. The name doesn't matter. They are all the same otherwise. If none work then connect as I suggested. You lose nothing on the cable box if you use the optical output of the TV.