DENON DP-29F SPEED PROBLEM

CHETBOYY

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2011
:eek: HOW CAN I CORRECT DENON DP-29F TURNTABLE FROM CHANGING SPEED DURING OPERATION..SOMETIME TABLE WILL FREEZE, AND BEGIN TO SPIN IF I TURN TABLE MANUALLY BY HAND.

Solution
G
Check the belt isn't grimy, especially not with lubricant.

Check the bearing isn't seized.

Check the motor turns with the belt removed.
G

Solution

CHETBOYY

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2011

THANKS FOR SOME IDEAS OF IMPROPPER OPERATION.. BELT IS CLEAN, NO GREASE OR LUBRICANT...SOMETIME MOTOR RUNS,SOMETIME NOT. IF I HAND TURN THE PLATTER AT TIMES, IT MIGHT BEGIN TO TURN..I'VE READ OTHER USERS OF THIS TURNTABLE HAVE HAD SAME PROBLEM....YES I HAVE REMOVED THE BELT ,AND THE MOTOR AT TIMES RUN, OR NOT..SEEMS TO BE A ONGOING DENON PRODUCT DEFECT...PROBABLY BE MORE MONEY TO FIX THAN TO PURCHASE A BETTER , MORE RELIABLE UNIT...I WISH IT WERE A MINOR FIX. SHAME , UNIT ONLY 4 YEARS OLD...PROBABLY A BAD MOTOR, MY GUESS....WHAT YOU THINK?..THANKS......"C"

G

I note this is a model with a built-in preamp which is a good thing but it doesn't look like a very hifi turntable to me.

If you are interested in better sound at around that price bracket I would look for one of the European models secondhand. Thorens used to make affordable, durable hifi turntables (mine is at least 30 yrs old), Project, Rega or later Acoustic Research models.

Direct drive is another option -- I use the expensive Technics SL1200 series disco decks because like you (I've seen your other post about the Numark) I digitise vinyl and the instant stop start is very useful -- also quite decent sound due to heavy construction. But many other brands made DD turntables right up to the change to CD which can now be picked up cheap.

You will have to invest in a pre-amp in addition -- or an amplifier with a phono stage built in.

CHETBOYY

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2011
I note this is a model with a built-in preamp which is a good thing but it doesn't look like a very hifi turntable to me.

If you are interested in better sound at around that price bracket I would look for one of the European models secondhand. Thorens used to make affordable, durable hifi turntables (mine is at least 30 yrs old), Project, Rega or later Acoustic Research models.

Direct drive is another option -- I use the expensive Technics SL1200 series disco decks because like you (I've seen your other post about the Numark) I digitise vinyl and the instant stop start is very useful -- also quite decent sound due to heavy construction. But many other brands made DD turntables right up to the change to CD which can now be picked up cheap.

You will have to invest in a pre-amp in addition -- or an amplifier with a phono stage built in.
THANKS.I'VE BEEN LOOKING AT A REGA FOR 400 BUCKS,NEW..DO YOU THINK A USED ONE WOULD BE RELIABLE?. WHAT STYLUS WOULD YOU SUGGEST? I'D DEFINATELY WOULD REPLACE IMMEDIATELY....THANKS..."C".

G

The Rega is very simple in construction so should be reliable secondhand. Cartridges -- so long as you avoid the heavy Stantons popular with disco-boys virtually any brandname model -- Shure, Grado, Ortofon should work.

I wouldn't rule out the Technics turntable in that price range -- make sure it hasn't been thrashed by disco use -- one way is to see if the seller still has the original rubber mat or just a felt slipmat.

The main reservation I have about both turntables is that they are not designed like a Thorens, Linn, Acoustic Research etc with a suspended subchassis which is sprung at a frequency lower than the lowest bass from your speakers -- thus providing amazing feedback rejection and a much cleaner sound.

G

Certainly worth examining the circuit board -- capacitor failure may be visible by bulging -- but seems a little unlikely after only 4 years in what is not likely to be a hot environment.

petesprsls

Honorable
Mar 10, 2012

i have a denon dp 1200 doing the same thing...direct drive...anyone fix these?