Desktop/Gaming Replacement

TrevorJ

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
So to start with:

1. What is your budget? MAX: $2500

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 15.6" Screen

3. What screen resolution do you want? 1920 x 1080

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Desktop Replacement/For Gaming

5. How much battery life do you need? 1 Hour

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? Skyrim at Max Settings :) - But High would be find

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) - Web browsing and movies

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? - 500gb to 1tb

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. http://www.maingear.com http://www.falcon-nw.com/
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? 5 years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? DVD ROM

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. WILL NOT BUY DELL - horrible experiences with them and any associated brands

13. What country do you live in? USA

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed. Don't know a whole lot about laptops, hence I am here

So here i am reaching out to the community that has been my go to for computer questions. I am looking to get a new laptop for gaming and as a desktop replacement (Gaming mostly). But i don't really know what the reputable sites are for laptops nowadays.

I am currently looking at the Falcon TLX as my machine, because I saw them on G4 and as stated above, am not really laptop manufacturer savy when it comes to the companies. So is getting a TLX a good decision or am I opening myself up for buyers remorse? Are there any other good options for me, i've looked at sites like ibuypower and pro-star but not really sure what i'm going for. So if you guys/gals could give me your advice i would really appreciate it.

I am currently leaning towards getting a Sager NP8170 but the TLX keeps popping back into my head. So i'm really very torn over the matter.

Solution
You could get a Malibal Veda with 2630QM CPU, 8GB 1600MHz RAM, DUAL 6990M, 250GB Intel 510 SSD, 500GB HD, Intel 6300 Wifi card, Windows home premium for around $2482 + free shipping.

Though it is 18.4 inch (bigger than you desired 15.4) that is the best a $2500 desktop replacement can get. Unless you got huge discount coupons on Dell/Alienware.

TrevorJ

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Never even heard of that site :) though it does save me a bit of money. I've read different reviews based on the 580m and the 6990m and even the review here. But it doesn't seem to merit a $300 difference, what am i missing here?

Malibal and XoticPC are 2 of the best websites for buying Clevo laptops(they have a great rep and if you check notebookreview forums,you'll find some of their support them there)
The problem with 580M is it's price.It's faster than 6990M but it's not at all worth the performance;however,after owning 2 Nvidia and 2 ATI cards recently,I prefer the driver support of Nvidia

TrevorJ

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
So im paying for a slight increase in speed and nvidia drivers? Ive never had a AMD card so i dont really know how they differ from nvidia. Is it really worth the extra money to get it?

perfectblue

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2011
You could get a Malibal Veda with 2630QM CPU, 8GB 1600MHz RAM, DUAL 6990M, 250GB Intel 510 SSD, 500GB HD, Intel 6300 Wifi card, Windows home premium for around $2482 + free shipping.

Though it is 18.4 inch (bigger than you desired 15.4) that is the best a $2500 desktop replacement can get. Unless you got huge discount coupons on Dell/Alienware.

Solution