Desktop Replacement for High End gaming and longevity for SEA DUTY

thegreenemachine55

Distinguished
May 15, 2011
1. What is your budget?
1,300-1,600
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
3. What screen resolution do you want?
1080 or greater
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Desktop replacement. I am not bothered if it is heavy or large.
5. How much battery life do you need?
I should be able to keep it plugged in.
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
High End games over the next 4 years at high settings.
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Video Editing/Format Changing
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
SSD with a Hard disk is preferred.
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
Newegg only
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
4-5 years
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
DVD is a must, bluray would be nice.
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I have no preferred brands
13. What country do you live in?
USA
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I am looking to get a good laptop for the next 4 years while I am at sea.

csnoob

Estimable
Oct 14, 2014
Hi there! I've search on newegg for what you are looking for and can recommend these 4 http://bit.ly/1ZDU7HA (hope the link works cause I'm browsing from the UK)

They all have FHD 17" screens and have an NVIDIA GTX 970M with 3GB, search GTX 970M game benchmarks to see what games they can play. They all have 16GB of RAM, good processors. You can't go wrong with any of these!

Hope I was helpful :D

naturesninja

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013
I recommend checking out XOTICPC. For AAA games to play at high settings in 4 years from now is asking a lot, therefore I cannot recommend any laptop other than one equipped with a 980m and probably a Skylake cpu. You may find these out of your price range, but you should know that the MSi GT72 for example has the option to upgrade it's GPU. So, if a 980m/skylake is out of your price range, I suggest the GT72 with a 970m, which should be upgradeable if the time comes.

thegreenemachine55

Distinguished
May 15, 2011
If I purchase a MSI GT72 that is upgradable, with the 980, can it be upgraded to the new line of cards in a few years when it comes out or only within the 900 family of graphics cards! I think I worded that right, if not let me know.

Thanks guys for the suggestions! Such an expensive and large purchase. I wanna make sure I get this right!

JQB45

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
Most likely you will not be able to upgrade beyond the currently 900 family/series of cards. I'm not sure even the manufacturer could answer that question. I could be wrong though...