Destiny Expansion to Hit Consoles in Time for Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Seems like a bad business model. From previous articles, it is clear that some development time during the original release of the game, went into the expansion. It also seems that they are clearly planning to monetize the game by constantly releasing paid content, which will segment the community, and if there is any PVP, then also cause some pay to win elements since the expansion will have newer and better gear.

The original game was heavily criticized due to its lack of content and much of the time being spent on repetitive grinding and dealing with bullet sponges that follow fixed action patters.

This will likely anger many people who has hoped to buy a game that will improve over time rather than having to constantly buy new updates to the game every few months. (imagine paying for early access to a beta on steam and having the developer charge for updates).

xelliz

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
I agree with razor512. I bought this game because my friend asked me to get it and its like I'm beta testing and only have limited access. Charging $20 to add such small amount of content to a $60 game that is already heavily criticized for lack of content to begin with. I definitely wasted my money and won't be spending anymore on this game.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
BTW: I have gone from Checking tom's sites from every day to once a month since I am since some change a couple weeks ago changed the ability for me to comment. 15 years out the window from one of your most "loyal" readers/comments simply because I need to "unblock" ads on this page to make commenting work. Goodbye Tomsguide.com tomshardware.com and everything else. You've been great, but now you've lost me(and millions of others)

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
This UPDATE /DLC is going to bomb HARD as there are petitions all over the place to stop giving Bungie and Activision people's hard earned money

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
This UPDATE /DLC is going to bomb HARD as there are petitions all over the place to stop giving Bungie and Activision people's hard earned money

thor220

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
Destiny should copy off of Guild Wars and their payment method. Free content so anyone can join in at anytime and cosmetic micro transactions to support the game.

Really though $20 dollars is way too much for each "expansion". I'm guess it's going to add little content to a game that's pretty much as thin as it gets.

also, it's really dumb that they are raising the level cap. It makes gathering high rarity gear worthless. If they are going to up the level cap every two months, what's the point of spending time on raids when the gear you get is going to be crap in a day or two.

Last, wtf is with the exclusive content? Even though it's timed, this is an MMO. What kind of POS company locks a huge chuck of it's player base out of content when everyone is connected. I guess the same people who are going to force players to buy expansions every two months containing content most likely cut out of the game.

I used to respect bungie but they did better under Microsoft.

Status
Not open for further replies.