Diablo III's Real Money Auction House Launches in USA

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sinnerhp

Honorable
Apr 16, 2012
I've banked $128 USD since the RMAH has opened, and currently have a $7 bid on another one of my auctions..I effing LOVE the RMAH! :)
I don't see why people complain so much..if you don't want to use it, don't use it. Find your items in the game instead of trying to pay-to-win with REAL dollars or Gold Pieces.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]spazoid[/nom]I do actually own this piece of virtual equipment until I break the EULA and get banned.The game does not "go down", just look at D2 - the servers are still running. Do you still have support for Windows 2000 for which you paid a healthy amount of money?And no, I can't take my armor and weapons home, but I do not really run around with my software licences either.Your arguments are, in my very honest opinion, invalid at best.[/citation]

Nevermind the fact that you don't actually own the software you buy. You just own the right to use it which is why you get a license or a cd-key. His argument is way off. Last I checked, Blizzard did not send me the source code to Diablo III when I paid my $59.99 but I did get a CD-Key.

BigMack70

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2007
[citation][nom]DeAngeloX[/nom]RMAH prices will be somewhat tied to the value of gold, like in any MMO. Gold is roughly 5-10USD per million and high end weapons go for 20mil and up. Do the math.[/citation]

Yeah and all of the above is stupidly over-inflated for fake gold and fake items. Not many items are worth 20M gold, and there's no way that 1M gold is worth $5-10. I'd say that in time, 1M gold will be worth ~$1.

KNO3

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2009
I'm not sure why everybody is saying nobody is buying right now. I've sold two items for $50 each so far.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Once a game officially includes real-world money trading, the game has lost all credibility in my opinion.

I still remember when I experimented with Runescape a loooong time ago. For such a "kiddle game" which was slammed for its mechanics and graphics, they took a firm stance against real-world money trading...and as far as I know, it made the game a better place.

BigMack70

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2007
[citation][nom]KNO3[/nom]I'm not sure why everybody is saying nobody is buying right now. I've sold two items for $50 each so far.[/citation]

so there are crazy people out there who hate their money... wow

the_crippler

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
[citation][nom]flowingbass[/nom]Atleast you actually own that copy of software you just paid for and cannot be taken away from you. [/citation]

Seriously? Have you been hiding under a rock for years of software EULAs, or are you just trolling?

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
Once the Chinese Bot Farms get really cranking you'll be able to buy some really sweet gear for next to nothing... at that point I may actaully be tempted to buy some stuff.

sliem

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
Eventually 1 mil gold will be about $1, I agree. However at that point of time, maybe a high end gear will cost about 200 mil instead of 20 mil so same difference. Basically, if you like it use it, if you don't like it, don't use it and don't say anything bad about it.

frank_drebin

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
[citation][nom]D_Kuhn[/nom]Once the Chinese Bot Farms get really cranking you'll be able to buy some really sweet gear for next to nothing... at that point I may actaully be tempted to buy some stuff.[/citation]

you mean "farm bots" ?? :)

clusterstorms

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
How they gonna afford RMAH with increasing number of users ? :O How they pay to gamers ? I think they looted many banks for that . . . But this is new thing that no one did before.

hoof_hearted

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
[citation][nom]element1981[/nom]Lets face it, it's no different than paying a monthly fee to play an MMO. Either way, you're paying real money for something that is digital. If that's your thing then so be it. Some people enjoy cars, some enjoy books, and some enjoy playing an online game. Either way, the feeling of satisfaction you get from something that you enjoy is real, and it equates to some monetary value. It's subjective to the individual. So if people want to pay for digital items, let them. Who cares if it's not your money? I personally wouldn't spend a dime for digital items... but at least I can see why someone else might. Curb your ignorance before posting here people.[/citation]

The problem with this mentality is that pay-once is going away. Devs are going more to the "freemium" model. All I know is something that used to be a fixed cost is turning more and more into a recurring cost because of the greed. Hell, look at the mobile markets. All of the top-grossing apps are "free", go figure. This is nothing more than "price hiding".

classzero

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
[citation][nom]D_Kuhn[/nom]Once the Chinese Bot Farms get really cranking you'll be able to buy some really sweet gear for next to nothing... at that point I may actaully be tempted to buy some stuff.[/citation]
[citation][nom]frank_drebin[/nom]you mean "Fem bots" ??[/citation]
Let me fix this for you.

deangelox2

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
[citation][nom]BigMack70[/nom]Yeah and all of the above is stupidly over-inflated for fake gold and fake items. Not many items are worth 20M gold, and there's no way that 1M gold is worth $5-10. I'd say that in time, 1M gold will be worth ~$1.[/citation]

Gold values are what they are. And as of this writing, it's still worth US$7 per million. Sure it'll drop in value more and more as gold inflates in game. but as Sliem mentioned, the same 20mil item will cost 200mil by that time. Like any other game (FFXI comes to mind), every item has a real dollar value, and will just be reflected in gold as such. If the RMAH can't handle the dollar value over over US$250, then it will sit in the gold auction house for whatever the gold equivalent is at the time. This is the way online games have evolved into, even ultima online had real $ transactions.

*silly account system made me make a new acct hence the '2'*

BigMack70

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2007
[citation][nom]deangelox2[/nom]Gold values are what they are. And as of this writing, it's still worth US$7 per million. Sure it'll drop in value more and more as gold inflates in game. but as Sliem mentioned, the same 20mil item will cost 200mil by that time. Like any other game (FFXI comes to mind), every item has a real dollar value, and will just be reflected in gold as such. If the RMAH can't handle the dollar value over over US$250, then it will sit in the gold auction house for whatever the gold equivalent is at the time. This is the way online games have evolved into, even ultima online had real $ transactions.*silly account system made me make a new acct hence the '2'*[/citation]

This assumes that volume of awesome items won't increase even though the volume of gold does. As more and more people start farming, the price for great items will come down, as well as gold price. Both are over-inflated right now because there aren't that many people farming inferno yet.

G

Highly doubt D3 will ever shut down and also just give it more time and watch RMAH rake in
all the $$$. Right now there is little action in RMAH as demand for items are low, but when
hot items appears and demand for them go up expect to see insane prices. Also gold farmers
wont be focused on gold much as they will move up on mats and items where the real big money
is at.

deangelox2

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
[citation][nom]BigMack70[/nom]This assumes that volume of awesome items won't increase even though the volume of gold does. As more and more people start farming, the price for great items will come down, as well as gold price. Both are over-inflated right now because there aren't that many people farming inferno yet.[/citation]

I don't disagree with you. I'm just saying that the value of gold is somewhat tethered to the dollar. More supply will always drop prices provided demand doesn't go up along with it. 1.0.3 promises higher drop rates, we'll see what happens then. As for now though, just like the gold market, get it while it's hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.