Did AOL Just Kill Its Instant Messenger Software AIM?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
We used to use ICQ because it supported many users in a single chat-- I assume AOL IM and the others must incorporate that by now, but they didn't then.

Any former WallStreetSports 'alums' remember the mass chats?

G

Funny I read this article then realize that AIM is disconnected on my Trillian and it wont't reconnect. Just tried it on Pidgin too and nothing. THANKS TOMSHARDWARE

captaincharisma

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Buttes McGee[/nom]Funny I read this article then realize that AIM is disconnected on my Trillian and it wont't reconnect. Just tried it on Pidgin too and nothing. THANKS TOMSHARDWARE[/citation]

still working here with AIM 11 beta

IAmVortigaunt

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012
[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]When I had Blackberry, I actually had a short resurgence, as BB is the only OS to fully integrate their FB client with the rest of their software.[/citation]

Not sure what you mean by "fully integrate", but FB is pretty integrated into Windows Phone...

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
AIM has less than 1% IM market and that generates $50M annually?!? It appears to be the only money maker for AOL and they cut its lead developer...lol.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]upgrade_1977[/nom]God.. I haven't used Aim in about 10 years, lol. I thought everyone used facebook, yahoo, skype, tango or teamspeak..[/citation]Well, for what it's worth, the latest AIM clients support Facebook chat and Google Talk. If it included support for Live Messenger too, the client would probably see a lot more use. There are alternatives, of course, like Trillian. But I haven't found a perfect replacement.
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]How is AIM bette? after many years that program is still unstable on the best computers.[/citation]The standalone AIM client? I can't recall having any stability issues. Maybe there were certain versions with problems? It's been stable on all PCs I've used it on.

Status
Not open for further replies.