Solved! Did NEW BATTERY get "Ruint"?

Feb 14, 2019
A friend wanted me to fix her Lenovo Tab 2 A10-70F "WalMart Special", almost 3 years old. It turned off one day, when go to turn on would vibrate and then stop.

Quick Google search turns up video tutorial on unhooking battery, discharging tablet then re-install. Got it to splash screen on, and then dead again - battery shot.

Bought new battery from Amazon Prime, high-ranked seller, put it in, tablet fires up okay, shows 30% initial charge out of box.

Return Tablet to lady, with SPECIFIC instructions to fully charge the Tablet with the charger that CAME WITH TABLET before using, should have remembered how my CAT has a longer attention span AND follows instructions more closely.

Lady joneses for YouTube music videos the moment door closes, runs Tablet 3/4 day until dead. Hooks generic phone charger to it, leaves on for day, Tablet stays dead.

I pick up the "still broken" Tablet AND the original charger, get the beast to fire up again, and charged it maybe 14 hours. Said only 83% charge at end of that time, but I turn on GPS "set-the-time" mode, unplug it from charger and set Tablet by window to see a satellite.

Come back in 5 minutes, unit has powered off, vibrates once when trying to start, then acts dead dead dead again. Go through the drain down short-the-leads and it only gets to splash screen, again.

Rinse, repeat, and plug in charger before attempting another restart, restart is successful, battery charging again - this time after 20 minutes it says 79% charged, and 6 HOURS until full charge on AC. (edit - in last hour, that has increased to 8 hours!)

Doesn't seem right. Is the new $30 Amazon battery munched? Is it RUINT??? Can I rehabilitate it, if so?

OR - am I missing something here? This is the first Tablet I have dealt with, I have always considered them to be TOYS (because of all the pre-installed crap and limited power), not a serious computer.

(possible important additional info: the YouTube videos she watches are COUNTRY MUSIC. I know that if I am forced to work when Country Music is playing I will quit in very, very short order, and never ever come back.

Are these new "Smart Batteries" also sentient?

Last edited:
Solution
You may want to check the tablet for anything on it that could be draining the battery fast. Try starting it up in "Safe Mode" and see if you get the same problem. If not, then there is likely something on the tablet that is the problem. Bad app, virus, malware, etc. That needs to be resolved. Now if it happens even in "Safe Mode" then I would be looking at the battery you bought. Is it an aftermarket one? If that is the case, you may need to replace it with an OEM one.

To get into "Safe Mode" please do the following.

1. First turn off the tablet.

2. Next press and hold "Power" until you see the manufacturers logo on the screen, then release the power button.

3. "Quickly" press "Volume Down" and hold it for few seconds until you see...
You may want to check the tablet for anything on it that could be draining the battery fast. Try starting it up in "Safe Mode" and see if you get the same problem. If not, then there is likely something on the tablet that is the problem. Bad app, virus, malware, etc. That needs to be resolved. Now if it happens even in "Safe Mode" then I would be looking at the battery you bought. Is it an aftermarket one? If that is the case, you may need to replace it with an OEM one.

To get into "Safe Mode" please do the following.

1. First turn off the tablet.

2. Next press and hold "Power" until you see the manufacturers logo on the screen, then release the power button.

3. "Quickly" press "Volume Down" and hold it for few seconds until you see the message "Safe mode: ON" or something similar.

4. If you wanted disable it, simply repeat the steps above, and you should see "Safe Mode: OFF" rather than on.

Solution