digital to analog connection

duclad

Prominent
Apr 22, 2017
I hope you can help me. I have an older Bose Entertainment system (102EA-II; PN 175461-03). On my older TV, I was able to connect RCA cables from the TV to Bose inputs in the wall and got sound both thru the TV speakers and the Bose speakers in the ceiling.

My new Sony Brava KDL-40650D HDTV does not have RCA audio outputs. It has instead optical audio out and a headphone jack. I tried a $25 DAC from Parts Express but could not get it to work with the Bose speakers. With the headphone jack connected to the Bose speaker RCA inputs, I can get TV sound to only 1 Bose speaker and of course no TV speakers output.

So my question is can you tell what if any configuration would allow me to connect the audio of my newer style TV to the older Bose system and preferably get what I used to have, namely, sound from the TV speakers and from both Bose speakers…or at least sound from both Bose speakers? (I also have an older Sony receiver (STR-AV720) that could be put in play if need be). Oh, I also have a Spectrum setup box if that is relevant.

I’m afraid I don’t know much about audio configurations. Many thanks for any help.

duclad

Prominent
Apr 22, 2017

Thanks for the suggestion. There seem to be a lot of DACs out there. I tried one and it didn't work, so I am wondering if this one is more likely to work for some reason? Thanks.