Digital Zoom Camera with built in FTP client...Do they exist?

Lightbox1966

Estimable
Nov 29, 2015
My smartphone has the ability to upload pictures via FTP. This is a nice feature for evaluation and processing of images on my computer.

I purchased a Nikon Coolpix L840 thinking that its built in WiFi capability would do the same. It doesn't. The camera's WiFi only allows you to get images from a smart phone or tablet, using the Nikon app. This doesn't fit my needs, because the image is compressed by the software to make them smaller so they transmit faster. I don't want my images compressed and I don't want to have to go through another step to get them on my PC. The memory card sneakernet method is cumbersome at best, because, the camera has to be removed from its tripod to eject the card, because the tripod mount is in the way of the memory card door. Even so, my tripod/lightbox room is far away from my PC, so walking back and forth, dealing with cables, memory cards, etc., is very inefficient.

Does anyone know if a digital camera with an optical zoom lens that has a built in FTP client so images can be FTP'd directly from the camera to an FTP server? I already have an FTP server running on my PC.

Basically, I want to transfer files directly to my computer wirelessly without compressing them and without having to go through an intermediate step, such as a smart phone or a cloud storage solution.

Solution
FTP? No, most developers are moving away from FTP. SMB/NFS? Yup, a few offer that. If you buy a Canon or Nikon SLR with wifi, you can control it entirely through lightroom, that includes not only image transfer but also focus, aperture, shutter speed, and even flash sync settings
FTP? No, most developers are moving away from FTP. SMB/NFS? Yup, a few offer that. If you buy a Canon or Nikon SLR with wifi, you can control it entirely through lightroom, that includes not only image transfer but also focus, aperture, shutter speed, and even flash sync settings

Solution