Question Direct dial redmi note 8 pro

Oct 19, 2019
Hi
I have a friend that has redmi note 8 pro, she tried to make a direct dial for one of her contacts. - she can only setbthe contact to her home screen, but the option of creating a direct dial is not available. She took it for a technician , who told her that direct dial is not available one redmi note 8 pro.
I, on the other hand, have redmi note 6 pro, and I can create direct dial.
I would expect redmi note 8 pro to have that option since it's supposed to be a more advanced version than the redmi note 6 pro.
Do any of you know differently? I mean, does anybody here have redmi note 8 pro and can create direct dial?

Tnx

Direct dial or speed dial is usually actually slower on a smart phone than the option to place a contact on the home screen.

To setup/use direct/speed dial (on most devices that include it) you have to go into the phone app, tap and hold the number you want to assign the direct/speed dial to until a little message pops up asking if you want to assign something to that number. Chose 'yes' and follow the instructions.

That, however, takes opening the phone app and then the dial pad every time you wish to use it to call someone. Whereas placing an icon on a home screen that you can just tap and call or text is direct access.

It isn't as quick as it would be on say a non-smart phone where you just press and hold a number. There are more steps on a smart phone to get access to that than there are with just placing it on the home screen.

Oct 19, 2019
Direct dial or speed dial is usually actually slower on a smart phone than the option to place a contact on the home screen.

To setup/use direct/speed dial (on most devices that include it) you have to go into the phone app, tap and hold the number you want to assign the direct/speed dial to until a little message pops up asking if you want to assign something to that number. Chose 'yes' and follow the instructions.

That, however, takes opening the phone app and then the dial pad every time you wish to use it to call someone. Whereas placing an icon on a home screen that you can just tap and call or text is direct access.

It isn't as quick as it would be on say a non-smart phone where you just press and hold a number. There are more steps on a smart phone to get access to that than there are with just placing it on the home screen.

You got it all wrong. You were referring to speed dial which is completely different than direct dial.
Direct dial (on redmi note 6 pro at least), means that the contact will appear on your home screen, and that when you press the contact icon, the phone will automatically call him/her, instead of just opening the contact info.

Yes. That is the other option I was referring to.

I see. There was a miscommunication there. So you want it to just dial the person when pressed and not give you the option to choose call or message.

Alas, many devices don't have the option. They only have the option of choice. If her phone won't do that with the installed phone app, then she may want to look into another app for it. Just be careful of what app you/she install.

Oct 19, 2019
Yes. That is the other option I was referring to.

I see. There was a miscommunication there. So you want it to just dial the person when pressed and not give you the option to choose call or message.

Alas, many devices don't have the option. They only have the option of choice. If her phone won't do that with the installed phone app, then she may want to look into another app for it. Just be careful of what app you/she install.

So back to my original question- if I can do that on redmi note 6 pro, shouldn't I be able to do that on redmi note 8 pro as well? Since it's a more advanced version?

Just because a phone is a newer or updated or more advanced version from a manufacturer doesn't mean it will have features prior ones had. It is very common for them to remove options on newer versions and add others. Why, I can't answer to that. You would have to ask the manufacturer.