DIrect TV streaming

ckburgunder

Commendable
Mar 9, 2016
I want to use the direct tv service I pay for at another location. I have roku, apple TV, a dumb TV (as opposed to SMART). I have been told by the DirecTV folks that I access the service via computer/laptop and then I have to plug the laptop into the TV. Do I really have to do this? Couldn't I just send it to my Apple TV or Roku?

Solution
Well check, if they don't have an AppleTV app or a Roku channel, then no, probably not. If you have a modern laptop, you might be able to do screen mirror, but Roku's screen mirroring always kind of sucked for me.

Math Geek

Estimable
Herald
not yet. only the sunday ticket and a couple other sports packages can be streamed on roku and those other sticks. you can stream directv to a smartphone or tablet as well as a laptop then connect it to the tv.

roku will let the android phones connect via miracast. so you could go from phone to roku that way.

but i can tell you from experience that there is little you can actually stream on the service outside of your home. i gave it a shot and found very little that would work once outside the wifi network the directv box was on. you can stream from various channel apps though with your directv login. like abd, cbs, discovery, comedy central..... will let you stream from the apps with the log in info you can provide.