Disable the video card

capital_one

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010
is it any way possible to disable the video card installed in the laptop, in case its not functioning and i wish to have video output directly from the laptops motherboard?

Solution
In the old school systems you need to configure a jumper on the motherboard to choose between different hardware configurations.
Later improvements let you make some of those same configurations options in BIOS menus.

Most recent systems - and that includes the Asus N53Jg - will handle that automatically without the need of setting jumpers or making changes in the BIOS settings.

In the case of your Asus N53Jg it has the NVIDIA Optimus feature. BOTH GPUs will be in an active state and the active GPU will be chosen by the system based on the video workload demand.
For all basic 2D office/school work the Nvidia GT 415M discrete video card will be powered down and the system will use the Intel HD GMA which is the onboard GPU included...

evilavatar

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
if you disable the video card in bios the computer will revert to either whatever video your motherboard supports or any integral video that is build into your system if you have an after market card that is running.

capital_one

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010

so does that means there wont be any VGA output if the graphic card in the LAPTOP fails?

capital_one

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010

i am not getting your answer , i think you should reply as a yes to my question?

since you are saying no it means that you are negating my question. i hope you understand,

In the old school systems you need to configure a jumper on the motherboard to choose between different hardware configurations.
Later improvements let you make some of those same configurations options in BIOS menus.

Most recent systems - and that includes the Asus N53Jg - will handle that automatically without the need of setting jumpers or making changes in the BIOS settings.

In the case of your Asus N53Jg it has the NVIDIA Optimus feature. BOTH GPUs will be in an active state and the active GPU will be chosen by the system based on the video workload demand.
For all basic 2D office/school work the Nvidia GT 415M discrete video card will be powered down and the system will use the Intel HD GMA which is the onboard GPU included in the CPU package of the Core i3/i5/i7 mobile CPUs.
When the system has an increased video workload (gaming or HD video encoding, etc) it will power up the GT 415M and use that.

Solution