Disassembled laptop, now it doesn't start

Hopscotch88

Honorable
Jul 10, 2013
Hi there.

I have an old laptop (2008 Toshiba Satellite) that was overheating a lot, so yesterday I opened it up and cleaned the fan. I put it back together and it worked fine.

Today I can't start it because it's not getting power from the charger -- the power leds light up for a second but they won't stay on. I opened it up again. When I connect the charger, an orange light starts blinking in the motherboard, making a soft clicking sound as it blinks; sometimes it blinks for a couple times and then the power led comes on, but when I disconnect the charger and try again it's back to the blinking orange light. Can someone help me fix it?

Thank you very much!

EDIT: I just realized something: if the battery's in when I plug the charger, the power and battery leds light up for a second and then turn off. Without the battery, the power led lights up and stays on but if I press the power button it shuts down immediately.

Hopscotch88

Honorable
Jul 10, 2013
Hi jarotech, thanks for replying. I did that, that's how I know that when I plug the charger a blinking orange light lights up in the motherboard, making a quiet clicking sound. Sometimes it stays like this, other times it stops and the power led lights up but when I try to start the computer it shuts right off.

I'm guessing it's a power issue, I just don't know if it's the charger, the power jack or the motherboard...

Hopscotch88

Honorable
Jul 10, 2013
Hi jarotech, thanks for all your help.

This laptop is driving me crazy. Every time I check on it, it does a different thing. The only thing I did was take the top off to show you what happened in the mobo, and now that orange light doesn't blink anymore. It lights up for a second and then the power led comes on -- every time. But when I press the power button the pc shuts off immediately. Hope the video is clear: http://sendvid.com/3lrp6l46

And this is what happens when I plug it in WITH the battery in: http://sendvid.com/rdkv47zp (the noise is coming from the battery). If I turn it on like this it boots regularly, until the power eventually fails after a few seconds.

I'm sorry to be such a bother, but I really have no clue what's going on with it, and hours of google searches haven't helped me either.