Discomfort wearing earphones

ch4509

Commendable
Aug 29, 2016
I have heard that many people experience pain from different types of headphones, and I am interested to learn more about what causes it. Is it from sound, fit, or some other reasons? Please share your experiences with discomfort with earbuds, in-ear earphones, ear tips, and the like. Thanks!

Solution

Both.

Fit, well that's obvious, I say fitting earbuds is even more finicky that shoes fitting. IMO, anything plastic, hard that comes into contact with your ears and relied upon to keep some kind of seal (pressure) will eventually bother you, if not right away. These days I use a pair of etymotic IEM with medium-hard 2-flange buds to make the seal and I can wear them for hours. Not everybody like the feel of IEM but if you are able to, to me that's best thing next to custom-made ears molds. Buds with a loop around your ears, looks futuristic cool but Gosh I'd stay away from them.

Sound, I have auditioned phones that everybody say is great but I can't stand some frequency that it...

ch4509

Commendable
Aug 29, 2016

Thanks! I can't even put apple's earbuds into my ear.

FireRisinWithin

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2010
In ear headphones with really good sound isolation are usually a more tight fit which could hurt after awhile. I usually use on ear or over ear headphones myself. I find them more convenient and comfortable. But i don't run with them or anything. Also, headphones with pronounced highs usually get tiring after a few hours, and headphones with pronounced bass give some of my friends headaches after a few hrs so ymmv.

ch4509

Commendable
Aug 29, 2016

You mentioned almost every type and I found each one has their disadvantages. Have you ever try custom-molded earphones?

Both.

Fit, well that's obvious, I say fitting earbuds is even more finicky that shoes fitting. IMO, anything plastic, hard that comes into contact with your ears and relied upon to keep some kind of seal (pressure) will eventually bother you, if not right away. These days I use a pair of etymotic IEM with medium-hard 2-flange buds to make the seal and I can wear them for hours. Not everybody like the feel of IEM but if you are able to, to me that's best thing next to custom-made ears molds. Buds with a loop around your ears, looks futuristic cool but Gosh I'd stay away from them.

Sound, I have auditioned phones that everybody say is great but I can't stand some frequency that it produces. People are sensitive to certain frequencies and if your phones have that certain SIGNATURE (you will hear people use this word often for earphones), you will hate it no matter what every body else say or costs.

Solution

FireRisinWithin

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2010

I have not. I have smallish ear canals and wax builds up easily if using ear plugs or in ear headphones. I prefer the comfort of velour over ears to the slow progression of hearing loss with in ears.