Disk at 100% usage

TexasTech

Estimable
Oct 25, 2015
I have tried everything, the superfetch disabling, turning off notifications, etc. I noticed that after i got a power driver state failure, my pc slowed down. I got that error after using the dell update utility. After i restarted my pc, everything seemed slow, but after a few re-boots and a bios update, things seemed to speed up. Any ideas? Would going back to a previous build help?

EDIT:
I installed the latest windows update and steam games can now download, but the task manager still shows the disk usage at 98-99%, sometimes dropping to about 40-70%. Any ideas? I may try a clean boot.

EDIT 2: Gee i'm a dumbass, the disk usage was at 99% because i was downloading a game on steam. When i paused it the disk usage fell to 8%.

Solution
1. Check your Task Manager to see which application is causing this
2. Run a checkdisk & ask Windows to fix any errors (right click on Disk drive, Properties, Tools, Check disk)
3. Open a command prompt and type 'sfc /scannow' - this will make Windows scan your filesystem for any corruption and attempt to repair any issues
4. Don't muck around with Superfetch - this is there for a reason and typically works well
5. Task Manager (check CPU usage), then Performance (Resource Monitor), Disk (look at Disk activity)

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
1. Check your Task Manager to see which application is causing this
2. Run a checkdisk & ask Windows to fix any errors (right click on Disk drive, Properties, Tools, Check disk)
3. Open a command prompt and type 'sfc /scannow' - this will make Windows scan your filesystem for any corruption and attempt to repair any issues
4. Don't muck around with Superfetch - this is there for a reason and typically works well
5. Task Manager (check CPU usage), then Performance (Resource Monitor), Disk (look at Disk activity)

Solution