Solved! DIY Monitor

John_444

Estimable
Aug 12, 2016
I’m a retired guy in my mid seventies sitting in a recliner surfing the internet with a laptop plugged into a near by outlet and wi-fi connected to a router in another room. A small table on my left holds a cup of coffee. The lap top is heavy! It is hot! My question is: Can I remove the top of my laptop (the screen) and convert it into an ultralight monitor attached to a well equipped wi-fi connected computer on the adjacent table with a three or four foot cable? This would allow me to hold my thirteen inch screen in one or both hands almost as easily as I can hold a 7” e-reader. Since it is a touch screen, I have no problem doing most of my input through an on screen keyboard similar to a tablet. As such, it would be similar to a tablet but lighter. The laptop weighs a little over three pounds. By my calculation, the weight of the screen portion is only about 0.9 pounds and could made even lighter if the wireless antenna, camera. Light sensor and unnecessary parts of the cover are removed. It would be my intention that all electronics would be located in the adjacent computer. I think this problem has two parts, the first being the hardware. Just what are the wires and means of connection that would be required to run through the proposed cable to the computer and just what additional electronics would have to be installed in the computer itself? Second is software. How would the software be source and configured? What about drivers? Could I get it so most of input could be done using just right and left hand thumbs while holding each side of the monitor. Perhaps I should go with all new (laptop replacement) parts in which case, I would opt for an even larger (15” or 17”) screen. But I ramble on. Is this even possible? Is it a job for an amateur? Where else should I post this inquiry?

Solution
You would struggle when extending the cable to the screen. It's a ribbon cable and very difficult to stretch.

Your best shot is to place the laptop where you want it and use a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse in front of you. Don't over stretch your eyesight.
You would struggle when extending the cable to the screen. It's a ribbon cable and very difficult to stretch.

Your best shot is to place the laptop where you want it and use a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse in front of you. Don't over stretch your eyesight.

Solution