Do I need a preamp?

ECARCTICFIRE

Estimable
Mar 27, 2015
HI

I have decided that I'm going to buy a schitt modi 2 dac for my sound system. I will be hooking it up to a onyko
tx-sv515pro which is analog. I will be using Boston speakers. my audio source will be digital however. do I need a preamp?

Thanks
EC ARCTIC FIRE

Vosgy

Estimable
Nov 24, 2014
I can't seem to find any real information about the device, Onkyo seems to have removed information about it from their own site. It doesn't appear to be a power AMP, so you shouldn't need a pre AMP for it to work.

ECARCTICFIRE

Estimable
Mar 27, 2015

Well its from around 1990. What exactly is the difference between a power amp and a amp.

Thanks
EC ARCTIC FIRE

Vosgy

Estimable
Nov 24, 2014
A pre AMP get the signal ready to be transferred to the speakers and a power AMP just ups the Wattage to add volume. They are used as a pair as both processes need to be done in order to get both a correct sound and volume as the initial signal is very weak. A ordinary AMP has both the signal preparation and amplification hardware in it.
There are some strange amplification set ups out their, the CD player I have has a pre AMP in it, and a very good one, but as the regular AMP I have also contains its own pre AMP I have to disable the pre AMP on the CD player as going though the process twice makes it sound awful.