Do I need to buy any mounts to install a SSD in my laptop?

Aug 8, 2018
Hello,
I own a Asus vivobook pro n580vd. This is a model with a 265gb SSD and no extra HDD. I know there is space to add an hdd or ssd (as this laptop is sold with an additional HDD as well), so I would like to add an extra ssd.

Will I need a mounting bracket or such to keep the ssd in place and where can I get them (what do I search for)? Or are there any other tricks to this? Thanks already!

Solution
They are pretty inexpensive on Amazon
I'm not sure about the version without the HDD but the one I know of has a bracket already from the HDD installed
Have you already opened the laptop to try?

mdsimmons1118

Proper
Aug 6, 2018
They are pretty inexpensive on Amazon
I'm not sure about the version without the HDD but the one I know of has a bracket already from the HDD installed
Have you already opened the laptop to try?

Solution

R_1

Estimable
Herald
my Kingston drives shipped with a shim to keep the SSD secure in the larger HDD bay. the SSD is thinner than most 2.5 inch HDD's and the shim helps. you can even use folded paper in a pinch. the SSD weighs almost nothing and it will take almost nothing to mount it - it will have 4 or 8 screw holes the same as a HDD. I have mounted SSDs with double sided tape in a pinch.

if the laptop is m.2 only there will be a single screw to secure the SSD

Aug 8, 2018
Thanks for the replies, I just opened it up for the second time to take a look. And it seems that there is indeed a bracket for a HDD installed, with two screw holes on both sides. I think these might just line up with the screw holes in a 2,5inch SSD could that be right? Thanks again;)

R_1

Estimable
Herald

yes the holes are in the same spots as the HDD. good to go. enjoy