do voice changers degrade your voice quality

Feb 28, 2018
Title says it all, if I use a voice changer, like Clownfish, will my voice come out as lower quality then without the voice changer? Just need some info, thanks!

ss202sl

Honorable
May 23, 2012
voice changers typically apply a filter of some sort, and these filters do alter the sound quality of the original. You could take a piano playing a middle C note, and use a filter to "create" all the other notes - it would not sound like someone actually playing a piano, although the actual pitch of the notes would be spot on. kind of like how auto-tune works. If you make a small pitch change you may not notice it, but make large enough changes, and you end up with a synthesized voice that is easily apparent to most listeners.

Feb 28, 2018

Yes, exactly, does a voice changer just effect (in my case, pitch) just alter the voice but not degrade the original sound quality? (Mic without the changer)

DSzymborski

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010

They're not movie magic. Algorithms that change the pitch on the fly will result in a changed-pitch voice that sounds worse than the initial one.

Really, the only thing makes sense here is looking at one of those voice-changers that has a free limited trial and test for yourself. If occasional artifacts or tinniness or the weird warped sounds you get with on-the-fly voice changing aren't a big deal for you, it might need your needs.

ss202sl

Honorable
May 23, 2012
voice changers typically apply a filter of some sort, and these filters do alter the sound quality of the original. You could take a piano playing a middle C note, and use a filter to "create" all the other notes - it would not sound like someone actually playing a piano, although the actual pitch of the notes would be spot on. kind of like how auto-tune works. If you make a small pitch change you may not notice it, but make large enough changes, and you end up with a synthesized voice that is easily apparent to most listeners.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Ezuu Audio 0
D Audio 2
M Audio 2
Dandyboyzz Audio 4
M Audio 2
J Audio 1
B Audio 2
E Audio 3
A Audio 1
K Audio 1
S Audio 3