Does AT&T engage in shady sales practices?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 26, 2022
I live in France and had to travel to the US last month for a family emergency. I purchased a phone and one month of prepaid service at an AT&T corporate store (not an authorized retailer) and was told that after the one month I prepaid (I was only going to be in the US for a week) I would be able to unlock the phone and use it at home (in France). I made it clear to the salesman that I would be back home in Europe in a week and he repeated several times that there would be no problem unlocking it after the one month plus a possible waiting period of up to two weeks - that the phone belonged to me outright at the time of payment.

Once at home again I tried to unlock the phone through AT&T but I was told that I had to have prepaid 6 months of continuous service before I could unlock it. I spoke to the Prepaid customer service supervisor and he confirmed this. He also seemed to take no responsibility for what the salesman had told me.

I am extremely disappointed with this state of affairs, especially since I had been advised by family to go to AT&T rather than a cheap phone store because I could trust AT&T. And indeed, one would assume that a company like AT&T would take care not to engage in such practices in the interest of their reputation. Apparently not...

Apr 26, 2022
This was store no. JQKP, in New Orleans. I have been talking with the people on AT&T Community forum and everyone agrees that had I read the "fine print", I would have seen that I would have problems getting the phone unlocked. But since I was in a hurry I took the word of the salesperson. I have since talked to him and he says that neither he nor anyone else in the store knew about the 6-month requirement. He also said that he would see if there is anything he can do so that I can unlock the phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.