How did AT&T rep get pics from cell phone?

Apr 28, 2024
This is an odd question... but I'm trying to understand how this worked...

My 90yo mom had trouble with her DirectTV box for her TV. She called customer service on her landline phone, which is actually an AT&T VOIP line. She also has AT&T internet & wifi.

She was having a hard time explaining what was wrong with her TV, and so he asked her if she had a cell phone. She does have a T-Mobile cell. He asked her to take a picture of what was coming up on her TV, and she did, but told them she doesn't know how to text a picture to him (she's 90yo).

He said no problem. She took the picture, and he said he could see it on his end.

HOW is that possible... how would he have had access to what's on her phone, especially since it's T-Mobile???

AND, how can I do that with her... sometimes she's trying to explain something to me, and it would be much easier if I could have her take a picture and see it too.

It's disturbing to me though that they would have that kind of access.

Apr 28, 2024
They couldn't see what is on her T-Mobile device. Seems something most likely got mis-communicated here.
That's what I thought too... but she said he was able to read back to her what was on her TV screen from the picture she took.

Her phone is connected to WiFi when she's home. Is there some possibility he was able to see it through her WiFi somehow?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
That's what I thought too... but she said he was able to read back to her what was on her TV screen from the picture she took.

Her phone is connected to WiFi when she's home. Is there some possibility he was able to see it through her WiFi somehow?
Not unless she gave access of some sort, or installed something to allow it.