Doing prelim research for buying a new TV, need some help.

macgreen

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
Budget: Roughly between $300-600, lower is of course better.
Size of TV Screen desired: 42"-50"
Screen Resolution: 1080p
Typical distance between being seated and the TV: Somewhere between 7 and 8 feet.

I currently have a 42" Insignia Plasma TV that's been very good for about five years. I rarely watch TV on it, just movies and playing games. Lately, I haven't done a whole lot of that, either, but I expect that to change as I get into playing video games a bit more often.

Depending on what info I can come up with and what you guys recommend, I'd expect to make a purchase sometime within the next month or two, or I'd wait even longer if there's a reason to. I'm trying to figure out what type of TV I should be looking into getting (I don't care about a curved TV or 3D TVs at all), refresh rates I should be looking for so that there isn't a huge amount of motion blur or jittery image, etc. I've heard recommendations for Sony TVs, but there aren't many that I've seen within my price range and expected screen size I'm looking for.

Any help would be great!

dark_strike

Estimable
May 27, 2014
Do not go Emerson. Out of the 6 people I know that have Emerson. 5 peoples did not last 2 years and had the same problem. The TV would just randomly shut off. Sorry chainsaw667. I am not trying to undermine you. No offense.

G

None taken. I paid for the extended warranty when I bought the TV. If he bought an Emerson or Sony/LG/any other I would tell him to do the same. I have seen ruptured capacitors in the most expensive equipment and I have seen the crap last far longer then anyone thought. I only used Emerson as an example because it is what I am using. My advice is still sound go out and look, find a screen that makes your eyes and wallet happy.

dark_strike

Estimable
May 27, 2014

Oh of course get the warranty. That is a given. lol about the eyes and wallet remark. It always sucks when your eyes are happy and you wallet says " umm NO"