DoJ Finally Settles with Penguin over Ebook Price Fixing

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

will be prohibited for two years from entering into new agreements that constrain retailers’ ability to offer discounts or other promotions to consumers to encourage the sale of the Penguin’s e-books

Why two years? Shouldn't the ban be permanent? You mean two years from now they will be allowed to conspire to raise ebook prices?

Soda-88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
[citation][nom]Andy Chow[/nom]Why two years? Shouldn't the ban be permanent? You mean two years from now they will be allowed to conspire to raise ebook prices?[/citation]
And risk getting banned again? That's a pretty poor business model IMO.

G

When I bought my Kindle first gen - Amazon promised all books would always be $9.99 or less.... That lasted less than 2 yrs...

raidenfox123

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
Now if only the DOJ would go after apple for there ridiculous pricing of there computers, tablets, and well anything else they sell haha. :)

keczapifrytki

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
I love it. Next should be the price fixing of video games. Anybody else notice that all new games (not including indy) start at $59.99? Or is just me?

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]keczapifrytki[/nom]I love it. Next should be the price fixing of video games. Anybody else notice that all new games (not including indy) start at $59.99? Or is just me?[/citation]

so, you want it to be like japan where the FF13 over there cost 120$ about? base version was 120$ not a special...

in fact most places do charge well over 60$ for games, and they only charge less in places where piracy is so rampant they they are fighting against that (russia, borderlands 2 cost 7$ there)

lets say that modern warfare did this, as they are really one of the few that could,

lets say they do the math, and find out that if they sell the game at 80-90$ for the basic version, they pull in more money than they would if they sold it at 60$ even with people who wouldnt buy it because it cost more.

lets imagine that they are sucessfull at that?

i mean its crappy enough that we went from cartrages which cost real money to make, to cds that cost very little but they still sold them at high prices compared to n64 games

and than we moved over to dvd, and they bloated the development cost of games to the point where they now charge 60$ a game... remember katamari damacy? that game came out at 20$

when was the last budget game released for a non wii console?

and here is the funny thing, they are planning to increase the price again to between 70 and 80$ for the next generation too.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]internetlad[/nom]This is why we can't have nice things.[/citation]
if enough people do it that way business would start to compete with free... like the russia example...

just saying, steam compeats with piracy, that's why we get great sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.