Don't Expect to See Bethesda's Games on the Wii U

Status
Not open for further replies.

IndignantSkeptic

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
Just keep the boycott going for a little longer so we can finally legitimately play Nintendo games on PC and other platforms. Make Nintendo go the way of Sega finally! Nobody be a jerk and spoil it for everyone by buying Nintendo platforms please!

shikamaru31789

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
Not too suprising. EA has said that most of their games aren't coming to the Wii U because they couldn't get Frostbite 3 working on it. Square Enix has said that Final Fantasy XV and Kingdom Hearts 3 won't be coming to the Wii U because it doesn't support DirectX 11. And now Bethesda is saying their games won't come to the Wii U for similar reasons. So far, the main 3rd party publishers that are supporting the Wii U are Ubisoft (only 2/5 of their currently announced next-gen games are coming to the Wii U) and Activision (only 1/2 of their currently announced next-gen games are coming to the Wii U).

Nintendo really dropped the ball when it came to 3rd party support. If they had gone with x86 and given the Wii U better specs instead of an expensive tablet controller, they'd be in a much better postion right now. They really need to play their 1st and 2nd party cards right if they want to come out well this gen. If I were them, I'd buy Sega and consolidate their fanbases, and get some new titles from old but popular Sega franchises going. I'd also get a development team working on an open world console Pokemon game with all of the regions and Pokemon from every generation. Those two things could redeem Nintendo in my eyes. Otherwise, I'm not seeing much reason to buy a Wii U, not when it has little 3td party support, few 1st/2nd party games I'm interested in, and 1/5 the specs of the PS4 and 32gb of storage vs 500gb for only $100 less.

jdwii

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Get some good 1st party games out do a price drop to 229.99$ for the basic include Nintendo land and then make the pro 279.99$ and bundle Nintendo land and new Mario bros game (console only cost 180$ to make and that includes the tablet Google it)

Price drop game bundle and keep making popular Nintendo games and never again Nintendo should you make a console with no big titles and even more importantly crappy marketing for that console.

i honestly feel like were going to see a repeat in sales when it comes to the PS2/xbox/GC area sony-microsoft-nintendo in terms of system sales.

shikamaru31789

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
@jdwii It does seem like we may see something similar to the 5th gen in terms of sales with Sony in the lead, but I don't think Microsoft and Nintendo will vie for a tied 2nd place this time, as the Xbox One does seem set to surpass the Wii U in sales, both hardware and software preorders have been steadily increasing week over week, with larger increases soon after Microsoft's 2 big policy reversals (DRM and Indie publishing).

That being said, the future of gaming is very hard to predict, even the big analysts rarely get anything right. Who knows, maybe Sony will announce something stupid and controversial and kill their current hype level. Maybe Nintendo will drop their price and get some really good 2nd party agreements, and use 1st and 2nd party games to drive them to hardware sales sucess. Maybe Microsoft's focus on media will pay off later after some price drops, with everyone and their brother wanting an Xbox One for an all-in-one living room media center.

shikamaru31789

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
@jdwii It does seem like we may see something similar to the 5th gen in terms of sales with Sony in the lead, but I don't think Microsoft and Nintendo will vie for a tied 2nd place this time, as the Xbox One does seem set to surpass the Wii U in sales, both hardware and software preorders have been steadily increasing week over week, with larger increases soon after Microsoft's 2 big policy reversals (DRM and Indie publishing).

That being said, the future of gaming is very hard to predict, even the big analysts rarely get anything right. Who knows, maybe Sony will announce something stupid and controversial and kill their current hype level. Maybe Nintendo will drop their price and get some really good 2nd party agreements, and use 1st and 2nd party games to drive them to hardware sales sucess. Maybe Microsoft's focus on media will pay off later after some price drops, with everyone and their brother wanting an Xbox One for an all-in-one living room media center.

shikamaru31789

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
I really hate this comment system ever since Tom's changed it. I always forget and refresh after commenting which double posts, and Tom's Guide has no forum like Tom's Hardware, so you can't delete your double posts though the forum like on Tom's Hardware.

Typhonios

Honorable
Aug 8, 2013
Wii prevailed , even when some "hardcore" players accused it , Xenoblade stomped every RPG out there and many more titles from Nintendo. Leaving WAY behind the sales of XBOX 360 and PS3. The same thing will happern with Wii U. Face it. casual players are WAY more than "hardcore" players and they spend WAY more money than "hardcore" players. Nintendo keep it up! With amazing 1st party titles and leave the others play cross platform games. PLUS if u want hardcore graphs and gameplay go and buy a gaming PC not a crappy mid spec PC like XBOX one and PS4. Over and out. Haters will always hate.

HumanShield

Honorable
Jul 25, 2013
Is this really a surprise? Bethesda cant even optimise a 360 game to play on same gen systems (eg Skyrim on PS3). I understand the machine architecture is different on WiiU compared to other consoles/PC but no-one is saying they need to produce massive multi-million dollar AAA titles for it.
And as for EA, who cares. They even admitted they never even tried Frostbite 3 on the WiiU. They tested their poorly optimised Frostbite 2 engine and gave up when they realised they probably weren't going to get the sales numbers they wanted for Battlefield 4 on the console anyway, so it gets the current-gen port instead. Lazy work to save a few dollars in R&D/porting.

Typhonios

Honorable
Aug 8, 2013
Wii prevailed , even when some "hardcore" players accused it , Xenoblade stomped every RPG out there and many more titles from Nintendo. Leaving WAY behind the sales of XBOX 360 and PS3. The same thing will happern with Wii U. Face it. casual players are WAY more than "hardcore" players and they spend WAY more money than "hardcore" players. Nintendo keep it up! With amazing 1st party titles and leave the others play cross platform games. PLUS if u want hardcore graphs and gameplay go and buy a gaming PC not a crappy mid spec PC like XBOX one and PS4. Over and out. Haters will always hate.

shikamaru31789

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
@Typhonios Considering the Wii U's hardware and software sales are currently quite a bit behind the Wii's in the same time period, they certainly have their work cut out for them if they want to rival or surpass the original Wii. It's not impossible, but they have to play their cards right, which means dropping the price and getting some really good 1st and 2nd party titles out.

Also, it's really not fair to say that the Wii left the 360 and PS3 WAY behind in sales, the Wii currently only has an 8% hardware marketshare advantage over the PS3, and only a 3% software marketshare advantage over the 360. By comparison, the PS2 held 3/4ths of the console hardware market in the 5th generation.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Kinda sad but expected. The Wii U is the first console I've ever considered buying in my life though. Decided against it though. And I doubt I'll be getting any of the other consoles as long as my 4 year old pc is faster.

Typhonios

Honorable
Aug 8, 2013
@6shikamaru31789 ,Its way fair to say that Wii left XBOX360 and PS3 way behind in sales:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii

As of June 30, 2013, the Wii has sold 100.04 million consoles worldwide

Dont compare XBOX, PS2 and GC since its irrelevant with the topic cause we are comparing the sales of the seventh-generation console.

Plus Bethesda never supported any console made by Nintendo, so actually there is no loss for Nintendo.

Nintendo must keep it mainly casual, skip the bad ports like FARCRY on Wii...pathetic game , focus on her amazing Ips and cut down the price of Wii U premium package. Hardcore and amazing graphs only on PC and not on Wii U , XBOX one and PS4. Its truth , face it.

Typhonios

Honorable
Aug 8, 2013
Nintendo has the guts to create AGAIN masterpieces like Xenoblade and is doing it already with Monoliths "X". Fact is we need 1st party titles and not lousy made cross platform games wannabe exclusives like Call of Duty.

CyranD

Honorable
May 6, 2013
All the people that keep making the point that because wii outsold PS3 the same going to happen this time around is forgetting history.

Sony currently is 2-1 against NES consoles. My bet is they going be 3-1 after this generation. The original PS outsold the NES 64. PS2 completely destroyed gamecube in sales. Playstation 2 is still the best selling console ever.

1st party titles will help Wii U sales a lot but that alone wont beat sony. There was plenty of good mario, zelda games for the N64. Sony made major mistakes with the ps3 and the wii controller was a major hit which led to Sony defeat this generation. Sony not making the same mistakes with the PS4 and the wii U tablet controller I very much doubt going to be a big hit.

hrhuffnpuff

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012
I do not think it is just the spec's that is hurting Ninty, but the one's who are in upper management. I do not see Iwata at the helm much longer. And a majority of Wii U owners (myself included), were hoping for an F-Zero or Metroid this Christmas maybe even next spring. Donkey Kong is ok, but I wold love to play a new Metroid, and an F Zero over DK any day of the week. The executives are making piss poor decisions.

MajinCry

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
Considering how Bethesda butchered the ports of their games to the PS3 and PC, it's no surprise.

On the third party thingy, it's just an odd debauchle. For example, EA said that the WiiU couldn't run the frosbite engine. When the XBOXOne was revealed, they suddenly said that the frostbite engine can run on the WiiU.

Not like it matters; games have heavily degenerated as of late. I'm still playing PS1 games, for crying out loud.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Bethesda doesn't really make any good games. The only good one in recent history is skyrim. Everything else has been a flop, so I wouldn't put much into what they're saying.

I think (hope?) Nintendo's strategy was to get the console out the door early and then reduce build costs. Now that they've out almost a year they can drop the price and still make money off the console, add in some 1st party releases and it should pick up some sales. Let's not forget the 3DS was a failure when it first came out.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
3rd party developers have no reason to like Nintendo. On the Wii, the top 14 games in sales were ALL Nintendo first party games. The top 7 games on the 3DS are all first party as well... 3rd party sales are generally terrible on Nintendo based systems, with the exception of a few lucky lottery winners, like "Just Dance".... which wouldn't sell nearly as well these days, now that the gimmick has worn off.

What's basically happened, is Nintendo's carved out it's own niche fan base, that's divorced from the rest of the gaming ecosystem. Selling anything else to them, is a really difficult task.

So you have the Wii U, with a small install base of Nintendo fans, who don't like to buy 3rd party games.... What developer in their right mind would waste resources there? Whether or not they could or not, is irrelevant... because it'd be a waste of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.