Solved! Dont quite understand yamaha YAS 108 configuration

1a2a3a

Distinguished
May 22, 2011
Hi all

i received an used soundbar yamaha YAS 108 and am having trouble configuring it with my current setup.

Xiaomi TV - (hdmi 1, hdmi 2-arc, hdmi 3), stereo, optical.
YAS 108 - hdmi in, hdmi out-arc, optical, stereo, analog.
PC - hdmi, optical, stereo.
Amazon firestick 4k connected to tv hdmi 1.

My objective is to use the sound bar for both the tv and pc (not simultaneously, of course).
My current old sound bar setup:
PC hdmi to tv hdmi 3, PC optical to soundbar optical.
Firestick stays in hdmi 1, tv analog to sound bar analog.
When using tv, soundbar switch to analog and when using pc, switch to optical.

Now...with this YAS 108, are there anyways to use less cable? Im actually confused as to why is there a hdmi IN and OUT.

Should i PC hdmi to soundbar hdmi IN, then soundbar hdmi out-arc to tv hdmi 2-arc, then firestick remain at hdmi 1? But this setup seems like when im using firestick, the sound will be coming from tv internal?

If the firestick is in tv hdmi 1, how do i tell the tv to use the soundbar?

any help will be greatly appreciated because i really cant wrap my head around the hdmi arc...

Solution
Yes except for being able to control the soundbar with the TV remote which might be convenient.

I would connect both the PC and Firestick to TV HDMI 1 & 3.
Connect the soundbar to TV HDMI 2-ARC. You may need to turn ARC on, turn the TV speakers off, and change the audio output type in the TV audio or sound menu.
Less switching that way (soundbar stays on ARC), the TV remote will control the soundbar volume and the soundbar will turn on automatically when you turn the TV on.
HDMI IN is to connect an HDMI source to it, and the HDMI OUT is to run the video to a TV from the soundbar.

Doesn't this setup work with only the optical out to the sound bar? The audio source should switch based on the TV HDMI input you are using. You should not need to connect anything from the computer to the sound bar, just HDMI to the TV and optical out to the sound bar.

1a2a3a

Distinguished
May 22, 2011
so PC to soundbar hdmi in, then soundbar hdmi arc out to tv hdmi 2 arc, then firestick remains at hdmi 1?

so when i use firestick, switch tv source to hdmi 1 and soundbar remains at hdmi source? wouldnt then the soundbar conflict with pc and firestick ?

so PC to soundbar hdmi in, then soundbar hdmi arc out to tv hdmi 2 arc, then firestick remains at hdmi 1?

so when i use firestick, switch tv source to hdmi 1 and soundbar remains at hdmi source? wouldnt then the soundbar conflict with pc and firestick ?

All sources to the TV, optical out from TV to the soundbar. Then when you swap sources on the TV it will switch the audio as well. Although I have seen posts where the firestick did not work with audio through TV optical out, may be fine on yours though.

The advantage of using HDMI-ARC is that the TV and soundbar will communicate via CEC so it makes it possible to use only one remote.
ARC and the optical output are the same quality. If your TV and soundbar both supported eARC then there may be a qualitative difference in the sound.
The HDMI input on the soundbar is so that you don't lose the use of the HDMI-ARC port as an input for an additional source.

1a2a3a

Distinguished
May 22, 2011
Does the hdmi arc soundbar to tv hdmi arc, essentially the same concept as tv optical to soundbar optical? Just different cables.

so I could actually do, pc to soundbar hdmi input then soundbar hdmi arc to tv hdmi arc, then fire stick to tv hdmi 1.

so in order to use fire stick, tv will need to change source to hdmi 1. For pc will be hdmi arc. And the sound will auto switch between hdmi 1 and hdmi arc accordingly.

did I get it right?

Yes except for being able to control the soundbar with the TV remote which might be convenient.

I would connect both the PC and Firestick to TV HDMI 1 & 3.
Connect the soundbar to TV HDMI 2-ARC. You may need to turn ARC on, turn the TV speakers off, and change the audio output type in the TV audio or sound menu.
Less switching that way (soundbar stays on ARC), the TV remote will control the soundbar volume and the soundbar will turn on automatically when you turn the TV on.

Solution

1a2a3a

Distinguished
May 22, 2011
theres just a small issue that i notice with that setup, when my tv is off and im just using my pc... there is no audio. i would the audio from the soundbar would be reliant on the tv being on?

any idea how to get sound from soundbar for my pc when tv if off? i tried running an optical cable from pc to soundbar with your recommended setup and it kinda f everything up....