Doritos to Give You a Chance to be a Pro Gamer

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
Halo... pfff! When will they ever make a contest I have a shot at? Like "WoW best mindless Runecloth farmer in Azshara", "Biggest walleye caught at Rapala Pro Fishing", etc. Not all games are FPS!

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]micky_lund[/nom]ahhh....flame wars: console vs. PC[/citation]

The war is already won.

Main argument for PC gaming

I could have bought all 3 consoles with the money I spent on my RAID array alone = no kiddies yelling on their mic while playing on their mommy sponsored Xbox...

babybeluga

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
[citation][nom]SneakySnake[/nom]@ babybelugalolhow is i7, 5xxx series, and soon to be Fermi behind the times?? Just becuase not everygame is available on PC (and pretty much all are) doesn't mean that we're behind the times. And xbox live being organized has nothing to do with hardcore gaming, you don't even have dedi servers[/citation]

I didn't say the hardware was behind the times (that's obviously not true). I said online computer gaming has fallen behind (other than MMORPGs, which cannot be turned into tournament format gaming). Xbox Live is streamlined to make it easy enough for a 5 year old to get online. I'm not saying that's a good thing or a bad thing, but it is a lot better than what a computer can do. Plus, the ability to walk around with a controller in your hand is a lot better than having to sit stagnant in a chair in front of a screen 5 feet away (people don't want to be inactive while they play a game as is evident by the Wii's massive success).

Also, in every computer game thread, a majority of the posts are "crappy console port" or something to that effect (I don't get the rants, but it happens). So you might not agree, but since developers don't want to make games better than the console versions, the ease of playing on a console makes it more appealing than on a PC.

G

"I said online computer gaming has fallen behind"

FAIL

"but it is a lot better than what a computer can do"

FAIL

"Plus, the ability to walk around with a controller in your hand is a lot better than having to sit stagnant in a chair in front of a screen 5 feet away "

FAIL. Do some research.

"people don't want to be inactive while they play a game"

FAIL

"developers don't want to make games better than the console versions"

FAIL

boudy

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2009
[citation][nom]babybeluga[/nom]the ease of playing on a console makes it more appealing than on a PC.[/citation]
Then please explain your other comment. In my mind, the terms hardcore and ease just don't go together.
I'm just trying to understand what your points were.

Warsaw

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
[citation][nom]babybeluga[/nom]I didn't say the hardware was behind the times (that's obviously not true). I said online computer gaming has fallen behind (other than MMORPGs, which cannot be turned into tournament format gaming). Xbox Live is streamlined to make it easy enough for a 5 year old to get online. I'm not saying that's a good thing or a bad thing, but it is a lot better than what a computer can do. Plus, the ability to walk around with a controller in your hand is a lot better than having to sit stagnant in a chair in front of a screen 5 feet away (people don't want to be inactive while they play a game as is evident by the Wii's massive success).Also, in every computer game thread, a majority of the posts are "crappy console port" or something to that effect (I don't get the rants, but it happens). So you might not agree, but since developers don't want to make games better than the console versions, the ease of playing on a console makes it more appealing than on a PC.[/citation]

You do know they have massive tournaments for WoW pvp right? As well as HUGE tournaments in Korea and other parts of Asia for RTS games on PC such as Starcraft that have followings that dwarf the likes of these Halo tourneys. Personally I'd wish they would just keep console and PC totally separate again so we'd both have unique games with PC having more customization. /endrant console vs. comp

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS