Status
Not open for further replies.
G

The TV might be good, but I'm pretty sure that the Samsung T240HD is a better choice because it's a LCD HDTV, a great monitor, and it supports 1080p along with all of the other features mentioned in the LN22A450. On Amazon and Newegg is costs pretty much the same as the one in this article, but has more features.

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
Thanks for your comment, Lahire149. While the Samsung T240HD is currently comparably priced to the LN22A450 on Amazon.com (and a full two inches bigger), you won't find that deal elsewhere. The list price is a whopping $869!
-Rachel Rosmarin, Editor of Tom's Guide

G

These are all silly investments. All you need at college is a decent desktop, maybe a laptop, and a cable internet connection. Having a giant flat screen t.v. is a terrible idea because if someone broke into your apartment is it the first thing they would take, along with the game consoles. People don't realize how silly it is to keep expensive electronics in a dorm room that is usually kept open. My advice to all of you college noobs is to stick with the essentials.

G

These ideas couldn't be any more worthless and have anything LESS to do with college. It is shameless and proves how little tom's is worth.

Fold and quit now, you have no talent nor anything relevant to say.

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
[citation][nom]tomshasstupidideas[/nom]These ideas couldn't be any more worthless and have anything LESS to do with college. It is shameless and proves how little tom's is worth.Fold and quit now, you have no talent nor anything relevant to say.[/citation]
Hi Tomshasstupidideas,
I think most gadget enthusiasts are interested in seeing what's out there--and not just "what's necessary." Obviously, all of the devices we mentioned are designed for entertainment, not for productivity. If you're interested in our productivity-oriented back-to-school product choices, please see that story here: http://www.tomsguide.com/us/school-tech-shopping,review-1112.html
For fun-loving folks, some of the products in our "Dorm Room Tech" feature are definitely of interest.

Many thanks for your comment.

--Rachel Rosmarin, Editor of Tom's Guide

G

Lighten up folks!
I do agree that Tom's has been pretty thin on meaty articles of late, this one is supposed to be a bit of a lark!

There are some cool and fun things for all kinds of budgets. My son starts University in just a few days and some of these things could/would be good. We did get him the LCD tv/monitor although at this moment the make/model model eludes me.

Tom... it's cool to do these fun articles but maybe add some with some meat to it, the solar PC for example was really interesting and I found myself looking forward to the next installment

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
[citation][nom]MuddyRoverRob[/nom]Lighten up folks!I do agree that Tom's has been pretty thin on meaty articles of late, this one is supposed to be a bit of a lark! There are some cool and fun things for all kinds of budgets. My son starts University in just a few days and some of these things could/would be good. We did get him the LCD tv/monitor although at this moment the make/model model eludes me.Tom... it's cool to do these fun articles but maybe add some with some meat to it, the solar PC for example was really interesting and I found myself looking forward to the next installment[/citation]
Hi MuddyRoverRob,

Thanks so much for your feedback. As I'm sure you've noticed, Tom's Guide is the site where you'll find more of the consumer-friendly gadget-oriented coverage, while Tom's Hardware is where you'll find the do-it-yourself project-oriented hardware articles. We think there's room for both types of reading under the Tom's umbrella.

All the best,
Rachel Rosmarin, Editor of Tom's Guide

malveaux

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2008
Heya,

As fun as some articles can be, it pains me to see this kind of article with any sort of link to education. It's become a joke in our culture it seems. College/University is no longer seen with respect. It's seen as play time for grown kids who get to run away and do things out of the nest. Sure, we all want to live a little, but come on, the language even being used here, even if it's just joking, talking about finding fun hundreds-of-dollars-worth-of-stuff to play with to keep yourself out of the library? To make other people want to hang at your pad? How disheartening.

Again, I can appreciate humor and fun stuff. But blanket `jokes' at the expensive of what is actually a real issue (the sad state of education and our approach and attitude towards) is in poor taste.

Very best,

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
[citation][nom]malveaux[/nom]Heya,As fun as some articles can be, it pains me to see this kind of article with any sort of link to education. It's become a joke in our culture it seems. College/University is no longer seen with respect. It's seen as play time for grown kids who get to run away and do things out of the nest. Sure, we all want to live a little, but come on, the language even being used here, even if it's just joking, talking about finding fun hundreds-of-dollars-worth-of-stuff to play with to keep yourself out of the library? To make other people want to hang at your pad? How disheartening.Again, I can appreciate humor and fun stuff. But blanket `jokes' at the expensive of what is actually a real issue (the sad state of education and our approach and attitude towards) is in poor taste.Very best,[/citation]
Hi Malveaux,

Thanks for the sincere comment. I must say, however, that I respectfully disagree. Most intelligent young people I know are/were able to get excellent grades and accomplish much in college, while at the same time considering the 4 University years as the time their lives (after all, this is the time period when most people discover who they are).

I can't agree that showcasing products that endeavor to make those four years even more enjoyable through technology detrimentally contributes to the state of education. Frankly, the American university system is hardly in a "sad state."

Again, I appreciate your thoughtful contribution.

Rachel Rosmarin, Editor, Tom's Guide

G

"Sony?s Rolly is nothing..."

Should have stopped right there. End of sentence.

So, how much is the big S paying for this mention?

njalterio

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
Ok article. The gadgets are lots of fun and cool to read about, however still impractical. Definitely not for college or the college budget.

There is so much theft in college dorms and apartments. I use to live in a college dorm not too long ago, and there was always a case of theft, sometimes an Xbox, iPod, LCD TV, whatever. There is a laptop theft almost twice a day (not just in the dorms, but on campus itself). Don't bring luxury expensive stuff with you to college. Good chance something will happen to it.

You have to be delusional if you do not think something is wrong with the university system. There are way to many people who go to college thinking its play time, and end up failing or having to start over and take an "easy" major. Perhaps the issue isn't with the universities themselves, but definitely with the majority of people who enroll at the university. Plugging all of these luxury items is just misleading and another source of distraction.

Have fun with the articles showcasing new gadgets, but don't believe for a second that any of this is necessary for college, or in the slightest way reasonable to own while in college.

G

I would like to note that the Shazam app is NOT free.

It is free to download, yes, but if you use it for more than 30 days, they will start to charge you monthly!! Please use Midomi instead, a completely free version of the same thing!

In my experience, the Midomi database of songs is not quite as big, but the app has more options. For instance, instead of having it listen to a recording, you can also attempt to sing and/or hum the song, and it will still identify it. :)

(Although I haven't tested it very much, so the selection of identifiable songs may be less if you choose to sing it.)

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
[citation][nom]Muhahahahaz[/nom]I would like to note that the Shazam app is NOT free.It is free to download, yes, but if you use it for more than 30 days, they will start to charge you monthly!! Please use Midomi instead, a completely free version of the same thing!In my experience, the Midomi database of songs is not quite as big, but the app has more options. For instance, instead of having it listen to a recording, you can also attempt to sing and/or hum the song, and it will still identify it. (Although I haven't tested it very much, so the selection of identifiable songs may be less if you choose to sing it.)[/citation]
I downloaded the Shazam App more than 30 days ago and it is still free for me.

--Rachel Rosmarin, Editor of Tom's Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.