downgrading from windows 8 to windows 7

sage859

Estimable
Feb 13, 2014
would it be possible to downgrade the msi gt70 0nd-492us from windows 8 to windows 7? if so how would i go about doing so? would there be drivers for it?

Solution
The Windows 8 and 8.1 System Image Backup program is well hidden for some damn f******* reason that I cannot think of. Here's the guide on how to do it in Win 8.1. The article also contains a link for Win 8.

http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/windows-81-tip-use-system-image-backup

However, I simply prefer using Macrium Reflect Free Edition to create an image of the C: drive on my uncle's laptop which is save to the drive. The program also allow you to save the image on DVDs as well (if your hard drive dies, so does the image you saved to it). I use this program for my desktop and HTPC which has Windows 7.

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

sage859

Estimable
Feb 13, 2014
ok i am trying to get a system that already has 7 on it then when it is no longer supported. i will go to 8. some people still having difficulty with 8. i am not saying i wouldnt try 8 to get the feel for it.

Based on my experience using Win 8 (fixing uncle's laptop) I definitely prefer Win 7. It has a real start button and I can simply rename, merge or delete program folders. I think win 8's Metro Screen is a mess and I cannot quickly find things in there.

The first time I used it I had to do a search for the Control Panel of all things. Not very intuitive or user friendly in my opinion. Maybe nice for a tablet, but for a laptop or desktop... I don't think so. The Win 8.1 update did make some changes which makes Win 8 more bearable, but still a huge difference compared to Win 7. Unfortunately, it seems to have broken the switchable graphics function of the Dell Latitude 3540 so even though the Catalyst drivers are installed, the Radeon HD 8850 is never used. Good thing I created an image for Win 8 so it was not too much of a hassle to revert back to Win 8 from Win 8.1.

One feature from Win 7 that MS took away with Win 8 is the Gadgets. I like having gadgets on my Win 7 desktop to monitor system resources. I might wait for Win 9 to come out before buying a new laptop for myself, or I will simply downgrade a Win 8 laptop.

^6 install classic shell. It's free, gives you a real start button and hides the metro interface and charm corners forever.

I find 8 runs better than 7, like the new task manager and on laptops with a built in recovery partition, I hate wiping that out to put a different OS on. The recovery is so easy, drivers already installed, etc.

Up to you, but I couldn't be bothered to find that drivers that probably aren't updated, buy a copy of 7, etc, etc. Install classic shell and windows 8 will look just like windows 7.

sage859

Estimable
Feb 13, 2014

sage859

Estimable
Feb 13, 2014
how do you create the image? when do you think 9 would be ready and how much do you think it would be? microsoft needs to make a several versions. a version that is just for touch screen devices the other one would be much easier to navigate like having the classic start menu and anything else that was left out. if you do decide to try 9 and get an extra one let me know.

The Windows 8 and 8.1 System Image Backup program is well hidden for some damn f******* reason that I cannot think of. Here's the guide on how to do it in Win 8.1. The article also contains a link for Win 8.

http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/windows-81-tip-use-system-image-backup

However, I simply prefer using Macrium Reflect Free Edition to create an image of the C: drive on my uncle's laptop which is save to the drive. The program also allow you to save the image on DVDs as well (if your hard drive dies, so does the image you saved to it). I use this program for my desktop and HTPC which has Windows 7.

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

Solution
As for Win 9 I read rumors of it coming out at the end of this year. I am not an early adopter of Operating Systems unless I truly want something newer and better than what I have installed.

I first started to use Win 7 back in 2011 because I bought a Lenovo Y470 which came with it. For my primary rig ad HTPC I was still using Windows XP until about mid-2012 when I decided to switch my primary PC and HTPC to Win 7.

Since the two retail licenses I bought for Win 7 cost me around $320 or so, I do not have any plans to upgrade to Win 9 (or any other OS) anytime soon. 2016 would be the absolute earliest.

sage859

Estimable
Feb 13, 2014

sage859

Estimable
Feb 13, 2014
thank.s i book marked both sites. i also am not about to go to the next os without doing further research. I am going to try the macrium reflect. if i need help on something i will let you know