DROID 4 Images, Specs Leaked; Bloatware Loathed

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Netherscourge

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
BTW - why waste your time with Android anyway?

http://theunderstatement.com/post/11982112928/android-orphans-visualizing-a-sad-history-of-support

Based on that, your Android phone has roughly 12 months of relevance before either Google or the manufacturer themselves stops supporting it with the latest OS and features...

The 2008 iPhone 3G is STILL being updated with the latest iOS.

Apple supports it's products way longer than the 2-year contracts you sign up for to get them.

Android phones? Not even close. You'll be shopping for a new Android phone well before your contract is up.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]zer0net[/nom]everyone is trying to catch upto Apple.Perhaps oneday..... but not today.[/citation]

Q3 sales:
Samsung: 27 million smartphones
Apple: 14.4 million smartphones

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]kartu[/nom]Q3 sales:Samsung: 27 million smartphonesApple: 14.4 million smartphones[/citation]

Samsung - 42 Android based phones (http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones/all-products)
Apple - 1 iOS based phone.

Now for an encore, why don't you tell us how many $199 smartphones Samsung sold in Q3.

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]Netherscourge[/nom]BTW - why waste your time with Android anyway?http://theunderstatement.com/post/ [...] of-supportBased on that, your Android phone has roughly 12 months of relevance before either Google or the manufacturer themselves stops supporting it with the latest OS and features...The 2008 iPhone 3G is STILL being updated with the latest iOS.Apple supports it's products way longer than the 2-year contracts you sign up for to get them.Android phones? Not even close. You'll be shopping for a new Android phone well before your contract is up.[/citation]

I've said that time and time again, but the droidfags just don't listen; they like buying new hardware every year anyway and then turning around and claiming that iPhone users are throwing their money away.

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]Netherscourge[/nom]And the Galaxy Nexus is already obsolete. Just like that.[/citation]

That's the problem with Android phones - the manufacturers of said phones make money off hardware so they are motivated to release phones at rapid cycles while orphaning their previous generation phones...so you get what you get and you upgrade in a year (at which point you have the latest/greatest for 3 months).

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]How ironic. Apple doesn't have 4G yet, that is about the only thing correct in your comments.[/citation]

Apple's lack of 4G isn't the worst thing in the world. Sprint has a $10 surcharge on 4G phones, even in areas that don't have 4G. So, it's actually cheaper to own a iPhone 4S on the Sprint network than to own an Evo....

getreal

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
[citation][nom]STravis[/nom]That's the problem with Android phones - the manufacturers of said phones make money off hardware so they are motivated to release phones at rapid cycles while orphaning their previous generation phones...so you get what you get and you upgrade in a year (at which point you have the latest/greatest for 3 months).[/citation]

You are spot on but the droid kids are going to vote you down anyway.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]kartu[/nom]Q3 sales:Samsung: 27 million smartphonesApple: 14.4 million smartphones[/citation]

Real figures:

Samsung: 27 million
Apple: 17.1 million

Reason: Apple sales slowed down in this quarter in anticipation of the iPhone 4S / 5.

They've probably caught up that difference on iPhone 4S sales alone since Q3.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]bystander[/nom]I can't believe how many fanboys you have to wade through.[/citation]

Indeed. Android fans constantly crawling around on this site. I personally just make the necessary corrections to any unfounded, or factually incorrect claims, whether they come from Apple or Android fans.

bystander

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]Indeed. Android fans constantly crawling around on this site. I personally just make the necessary corrections to any unfounded, or factually incorrect claims, whether they come from Apple or Android fans.[/citation]

I didn't specify Apple or Android for a reason. There are both, although at the moment, it seems to lean towards Apple fanboys, and when I read an Apple article, I seem to find more Android fanboys.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]bystander[/nom]I didn't specify Apple or Android for a reason. There are both, although at the moment, it seems to lean towards Apple fanboys, and when I read an Apple article, I seem to find more Android fanboys.[/citation]

I know you didn't. I didn't say you had.

This article leans towards Apple but it's the exception, rather than the norm.

rh_dog

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
Why does everything have to turn into Apple love or Apple hate? My wife loves Apple products because they have a sleek design and are mostly easy to use. I like Android stuff because I can (generally) root them and do what I want with them. I'm a geek, my wife is not. The majority of people in the world aren't geeks so Apple stuff is fine for them. The geek community who "hates" Apple ought to have realized this by now.

I for one have wanted a Droid with LTE since Jan of 2011 when Verizon said they were turning on LTE. I was really disappointed with the Droid 3 since it did not have LTE. I hope the Droid 4 comes out soon. What I really want is a camera with a fast aperture (like F/1.8 at least) and little to no shutter lag. I do not care about megapixels because with a small CCD, megapixels don't matter. Manufacturers talk about how much "horsepower" their processors have, but why don't these processors have software that's optimized for quick image processing? I'm tired of having to carry a DSLR and my phone to my kid's functions. I don't need professional quality photos, the camera only needs to be good enough to catch the little speedsters running around.

G

how many people here with apple phones have actually used a droid? I've had an apple phone for 4 years, just switched to a samsung galaxy s II to test it out...i'm very impressed with how quick it is and all you can do with it. At first, the navigation and all the clutter apps was a turn off...I was thinking this thing SUCKS but that quickly wore off after playing with all the google apps and widgets.

I may not go back, not to say that it's better for the average ma and pop but for an IT guy, I'm thinking it's what I'm going to stick with!

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]just root the freaking thing and get rid of bloatware....problem solved[/citation]
And don't be afraid that Apple will sue you, oh wait I forgot, this is a phone not iCrap brick.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]jaycmw18[/nom]how many people here with apple phones have actually used a droid? I've had an apple phone for 4 years, just switched to a samsung galaxy s II to test it out...i'm very impressed with how quick it is and all you can do with it. At first, the navigation and all the clutter apps was a turn off...I was thinking this thing SUCKS but that quickly wore off after playing with all the google apps and widgets.I may not go back, not to say that it's better for the average ma and pop but for an IT guy, I'm thinking it's what I'm going to stick with![/citation]

I had a Samsung phone, and I immediately switched to the iPhone 4, and I was blown away by how much better it is. It's faster, has more apps, much much higher security, responds better, handles multi tasking much better without slowing down, battery doesn't die in a day.

I think you are probably comparing an old iPhone to a new Samsung. Try from the same generation and then check.

I'm an IT guy, and iPhone is a far more sophisticated device in my opinion. Some people confuse complexity with capability

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]rh_dog[/nom]Why does everything have to turn into Apple love or Apple hate? My wife loves Apple products because they have a sleek design and are mostly easy to use. I like Android stuff because I can (generally) root them and do what I want with them. I'm a geek, my wife is not. The majority of people in the world aren't geeks so Apple stuff is fine for them. The geek community who "hates" Apple ought to have realized this by now.I for one have wanted a Droid with LTE since Jan of 2011 when Verizon said they were turning on LTE. I was really disappointed with the Droid 3 since it did not have LTE. I hope the Droid 4 comes out soon. What I really want is a camera with a fast aperture (like F/1.8 at least) and little to no shutter lag. I do not care about megapixels because with a small CCD, megapixels don't matter. Manufacturers talk about how much "horsepower" their processors have, but why don't these processors have software that's optimized for quick image processing? I'm tired of having to carry a DSLR and my phone to my kid's functions. I don't need professional quality photos, the camera only needs to be good enough to catch the little speedsters running around.[/citation]

I think the perception that Android for geeks is both true and illogical.

The geeks tend to confuse complexity and wasting time on something with it being better or more complicated or more capable. It isn't. They also tend to mistakenly compare specifications like 1.2 vs 0.8 Ghz and think it means more performance. Ironically, they should know better, as the geeks. This is why Android is purchased more by younger, less educated people, with less income. I also think trying to save money is a primary reason.

I'm highly successful and arguably a geek, but this leads me to look at actual performance for gaming, responsiveness, app capabilities, reliability, security, and the iPhone wins on all fronts. For successful geeks, the iPhone is the phone of choice. For young pretenders with less money, Android is an alternative which they can argue is as good.

I also think for a lot of immature tech people they feel they can't have the same technology as their friends because they 'know better'. It takes a certain self security to not mind buying the same if it's the best, and not needing to find a 'cheaper equivalent' (and failing).

The people who I know who buy Android tend to be the sort of guys who buy clothes from charity shops and do most of their work at home through DIY. That's admirable, nothing against that, but most professionals value their time more than it would cost to employ someone to do that. I think the same applies to phones.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]rh_dog[/nom]Why does everything have to turn into Apple love or Apple hate? My wife loves Apple products because they have a sleek design and are mostly easy to use. I like Android stuff because I can (generally) root them and do what I want with them. I'm a geek, my wife is not. The majority of people in the world aren't geeks so Apple stuff is fine for them. The geek community who "hates" Apple ought to have realized this by now.I for one have wanted a Droid with LTE since Jan of 2011 when Verizon said they were turning on LTE. I was really disappointed with the Droid 3 since it did not have LTE. I hope the Droid 4 comes out soon. What I really want is a camera with a fast aperture (like F/1.8 at least) and little to no shutter lag. I do not care about megapixels because with a small CCD, megapixels don't matter. Manufacturers talk about how much "horsepower" their processors have, but why don't these processors have software that's optimized for quick image processing? I'm tired of having to carry a DSLR and my phone to my kid's functions. I don't need professional quality photos, the camera only needs to be good enough to catch the little speedsters running around.[/citation]

I think the perception that Android for geeks is both true and illogical.

The geeks tend to confuse complexity and wasting time on something with it being better or more complicated or more capable. It isn't. They also tend to mistakenly compare specifications like 1.2 vs 0.8 Ghz and think it means more performance. Ironically, they should know better, as the geeks. This is why Android is purchased more by younger, less educated people, with less income. I also think trying to save money is a primary reason.

I'm highly successful and arguably a geek, but this leads me to look at actual performance for gaming, responsiveness, app capabilities, reliability, security, and the iPhone wins on all fronts. For successful geeks, the iPhone is the phone of choice. For young pretenders with less money, Android is an alternative which they can argue is as good.

I also think for a lot of immature tech people they feel they can't have the same technology as their friends because they 'know better'. It takes a certain self security to not mind buying the same if it's the best, and not needing to find a 'cheaper equivalent' (and failing).

The people who I know who buy Android tend to be the sort of guys who buy clothes from charity shops and do most of their work at home through DIY. That's admirable, nothing against that, but most professionals value their time more than it would cost to employ someone to do that. I think the same applies to phones.

Status
Not open for further replies.