Droid X is Verizon's Answer to Sprint's EVO 4G

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

henrystrawn

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
As my contract end date approaches, I have been looking at the HTC EVO 4. I wasn't ready to ditch verizon for sprint. The lack of a forward facing camera is odd though. Good to see verizon has a large display android phone, I thought I was going to have to settle for the incredible.

2ms

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
What's with phones getting so giant that you need a purse to transport them? Not into the bigger is better trend. Next thing they're going to be "machoed" out with roll bars and G-FORCE shock absorbers etc. There'll be an HTC ALPHA GLADIATOR H1 BLACK OPS EDITION or something.

Can we go back to phones that are actually convenient to transport and fit comfortably in the pockets of one's clothing? I'm a guy. I don't carry a purse and I shouldn't need a backpack to own a phone.

tsnorquist

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
I think I'll go for the Droid 2. The specs on this look impressive, but man it looks big for my giant paws.

Plus, I'm just too clumsy on a touch screen. A physical keyboard seems so much easier to type on.

Zinosys

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
dammit, the day after I ordered my HTC Incredible! :p

Well, at least there's the 30-day buyer's remorse period. :)

martin0642

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
I have an EVO4G - and it's not too big. In fact after daily use, I wonder why other phones are so small. Browsing the web on a mini-screen is a pain. I think that 4.3-4.5 are perfect sizes for phones, and the iPad is a good size for tablets (maybe a tad bigger, but not much). With a phone like this, some type of tablet, you should only need one regular PC/Laptop and/or home server to get everything done.

djtronika

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
[citation][nom]balister[/nom]So much for the iPhone 4G (in more ways than one).[/citation]

really? i dont see how. OHHHH, you're just bashing Apple because you're a troll. i get it.

phew, you had me there...

airborne11b

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
Well, I've played with iphone, and I now own an EVO 4g, and I have to say, when it comes to interface, apps, and the cellphone's actual processing power, the android EVO 4G from sprint beats the current iphone 3GS hands down. As for the new iphone 4, I can not say, but at&t doesn't have 4G in my area, but sprint does, and its a noticeably faster from what I can tell. But for people who like at&t, the iphone isn't a bad phone. I switch from at&t because I like having the best thats out, and right now its the evo, not the iphone.

airborne11b

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
Well, I've played with iphone, and I now own an EVO 4g, and I have to say, when it comes to interface, apps, and the cellphone's actual processing power, the android EVO 4G from sprint beats the current iphone 3GS hands down. As for the new iphone 4, I can not say, but at&t doesn't have 4G in my area, but sprint does, and its a noticeably faster from what I can tell. But for people who like at&t, the iphone isn't a bad phone. I switch from at&t because I like having the best thats out, and right now its the evo, not the iphone.

dtm4trix

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
looks awesome but I also want to see the Droid2 before I make a choice. As far as the iPhone goes, its a pretty sick phone aside from the obvious steve jobs draw backs, but I have to tell ya the biggest reason not to buy the iPhone is not the phone itself but the crappiest network in the nation that holds and exclusivity contract with apple.

bk420

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
Looks like it has great specs, but like the Droid it probably weighs in pretty hefty.

I'm glad to see more and more feature rich ANDROID phones, but for now I think the EVO remains King of the Droids thanks to it's kickstand, wifi-hotspot, front facing camera and 4G capability.

I'm not so sure the Droid X needs that keypad with a screen that ridiculously big. I thought the EVO screen was just about right, any bigger and it's might not be pocket-worthy.

The only problem now is 2-year contract deals are pretty much worthless. Heck if ETF keep going up everyone might was well buy phones outright as to not be tied to a particular carrier.

May the best ANDROID phone kill off the iPhone turtle neck fashion statement!

G

it is big for one hand because it is designed for basketball players..

balister

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
[citation][nom]djtronika[/nom]really? i dont see how. OHHHH, you're just bashing Apple because you're a troll. i get it.phew, you had me there...[/citation]

Obviously you haven't been keeping up with the news or paying attention.

iPhone 4G is still 3G network, everyone else is rapidly heading to 4G network.

Strike one against the iPhone 4G

The pre-order for the iPhone 4G is a nightmare and s'posedly has had an even worse security breach than the iPads through AT&T.

Strike two again for iPhone 4G.

AT&T's network continues to be an issue for 3G smart phones (not just the iPhones) and in a lot of places people are getting edge and lower network speeds.

Strike three against the iPhone 4G.

If you're going to try and call someone a troll or anti-something, atleast have the ability to provide research to show that they're wrong instead of being a fanboi and getting all hot and bothered when someone gives a valid reason why your emperor has not clothes.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
[citation][nom]figgus[/nom]I still prefer a physical slide out keyboard... :-([/citation]

So did I... then I bought an iPhone. Now, I hate the extra bulk and sloppy buttons. Touch is better for a device like this, imho

awood28211

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2007
As I now own 2 Evo's (one mine, one for the gf)... I can say that they rock and if you are considering these phones without waiting for your plan (or dont have a plan) to expire, then go ahead and get the Evo. There won't be significant improvement and you can get the Evo now.

awood28211

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2007
[citation][nom]balister[/nom]Obviously you haven't been keeping up with the news or paying attention. iPhone 4G is still 3G network, .......[/citation]

Don't forget the network for the iPhone will have no unlimited data plans going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.