Drop in FPS during games and programs

Sebiside

Commendable
Mar 12, 2016
Hello,

I own a MSI GS70 stealth pro that is going on 1.5 years old - recently I have been having fps drops during games and now also during adobe aftereffects while rendering a video.

I can be playing and then i get skipping fps drops lagging and slowing down the program but also dimming the screen brightness. To me this seems to be more of a power problem than component but I would like to be sure before I go out and buy any new parts.

I did a dxdiag that came up with no problems. I try to regularly clean the inside of my laptop out for dust and what not so i am also concerned I am crimping a wire somewhere but I am not convinced it would be the battery. I seem to be able to mimic the fps drops when I do unplug the adapter however switching over to high performance battery mode does not solve the issue when plugged in.

The problem also seems to be inconsistent - sometimes it is frequently dropping in fps other time it will stop for a few minutes and fun smoothly.

Hi,

Please do a clean install of the graphics card driver that may be the cause of the problem.
- Start by going into Device Manager an uninstall the Nvidia graphics driver.
- Next is to open Programs and Features and uninstall anything related to Nvidia.
- Once done, download and install the latest driver from Nvidia.
- Here's the link:nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx
- Reboot your laptop once the latest driver has been installed.
- After the reboot do set Nvidia as the default graphics card.
- Do test it again and see if the same problem will persist or not.

Sebiside

Commendable
Mar 12, 2016

I will try this

Sebiside

Commendable
Mar 12, 2016
Still happening - I believe I got the right driver and delete all the correct nvidia 'stuff' there were still folders on my C drive after removing all the nvidia content form Programs and Features.

should also mention that I run my games for a HDD drive and my OS from a SSD drive..

Sebiside

Commendable
Mar 12, 2016

additional information - temps seem fine (checked using speccy) before during and after these skips running the game EU4

I did a test by removing the battery and trying to run on the adapter alone and the laptop turned off when I imagine a skip would happen. Is it safe to say the adapter is the problem?

Yeah, it sounds like it might be either the adapter or the port it plugs into on the laptop.