Dropbox messages I didnt upload

waterpleb

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2014
Hi all. I bought a refurbished Lenovo laptop.Windows 7.

It came with dropbox and google drive on it. I never used these programs and never signed up to them.

Recently dropbox seems to have downloaded videos and tells me its full. I clicked on one foolishly. It was some guy singing happybirthday. Anyway Im not sure how this happened.

I do use wifi in a library sometimes, rarely use this laptop and havent turned it on in weeks.

Do I need to reformat the whole thing now?
It dosnt seem to behaving badly but somehow dropbox is full? and none of that stuff is mine. I deleted dropbox from uninstall programms. Windows defendor will not open to scan and is turned off. Should I install another virus scanner?

What should I do now? I appreciate any help.

Solution

From the Lenovo system recovery, probably. F11, and see what happens. This should bring it to out of the box condition.
But...if there is no recovery partition when you try it....your only option is to contact Lenovo and obtain the DVD set to do that. This may cost a few $$.

USAFRet

Illustrious

It is almost certainly still tied to the previous owners dropbox and google.

Wipe and reinstall.
For any system that is not pristine new....full wipe and reinstall is strongly recommended. Even if you have to purchase your own OS to do it.

waterpleb

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2014

Thanks for the reply.
Is it safe to do this in system recovery? ( press f11 choose reinstall windows from harddrive). Or would it install the same problem. I have right clicked hard drive and tried to reformat but there is no recovery partition and I have no win 7cd. There is a sticker under the battery with serial numbers etc on win 7 on this lapop.

USAFRet

Illustrious

From the Lenovo system recovery, probably. F11, and see what happens. This should bring it to out of the box condition.
But...if there is no recovery partition when you try it....your only option is to contact Lenovo and obtain the DVD set to do that. This may cost a few $$.

Solution

waterpleb

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2014

thanks for the quick replies and help. I'm doing this now from system recovery and it seems to be re installing without issues.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Good.
And for future reference, and for anyone you know...
For any used system...full wipe and reinstall.

SBMfromLA

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011

I doubt they would help you. Most manufacturers only help the original purchaser of said item.