Solved! Dropped VAIO - Blank Screen

Darkerain

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
Hey all, I dropped my Sony Vaio VGN-AW190 from backpack to asphalt on saturday night. After plugging it in, I realized the screen was blank. I connected it to my tv via HDMI and to a monitor via VGA and it works fine.

The laptop landed on its bottom and was off and closed when it dropped. The impact points seem to be on the back hinge area of the comp. When turned on the screen is completely black and I do not see any light source or cracks/leakage. Not sure if it is a busted backlight, but I can't see any images at any angle on the blank screen. Hoping it was a dislodged video cable i took it apart but it seems the motherboard side of the cable seems to be connected fine.

I havent been able to find any instructions on disassembling the actual screen to check the inverter and the plugs over there, so that would probably be next on the list.

Any advice/instructions and/or help are greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time guys!

Luke

Solution
backlight plugs into it so could be inverter, but I haven't heard of a way to test it without taking the screen apart
I doubt you would see leaks with a flash light

AntiZig

Distinguished
for disassembly instructions you can google for a youtube video or similar resouce, just make sure to include your make/model

as far as checking whether it's backlight or not, get a flashlight and shine it at the screen. if you can make out the image, then it's the backlight, if not then it's something else.

Darkerain

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
Ok...so after doing the flashlight test I can pretty clearly see the entire screen with no cracks or leaks. Is this 100% the backlight lamp? Or can it be a problem with the inverter also?

Luke

TRENDING THREADS