Solved! Dual Graphics is not woking (Serious)

Nov 24, 2018
Hi Guys,

I have read several articles about the dual graphics provided by AMD that is not working.
the thing is, my case is quite different from those articles.

I have Asus x550z that has AMD R6 Graphics and R7M265DX.

I left it not updated for couple years. then when I tried to update it using auto detect from AMD, thats when the errors occured.
My device read it as R6 and R5 instead of R7M265DX.

So, I restore my laptop to when its not updated. and I try to update it once using different tools (Driver Booster), the problem remain the same.

once again, I restored my laptop.
At first i thought it was because my windows is not updated so I update my windows and reinstall the latest driver (again) but the result stayed the same.

now that I decided to not update it at all, the game works fine and my laptop read it as R7M265DX.

but the problem is, the R7M265DX is always not in use everytime I play some games (Farcry, Payday, etc).
the gpu in use is always R6 graphics.

I already set the application (games) on high performance on control center dual graphic settings. but in GPU-Z, the graphic in use is always the R6.

Is there any way to disable the R6 and force the R7M265DX only in use?

and how exactly I update it? does the udpated AMD doesnt support R7M265DX or what?

Solution

He went to AMD's website, Asus never has the latest drivers, AMD also made the video chips thats in that laptop, in fact its better if you go to AMD's website and download the drivers, and it should work without any fuss.

In fact the latest Asus has in from 2016, which may not be compatible with his updated version of windows.

http://prntscr.com/m2vnqv...
Using 3rd party tools is bad, and really bad on laptops. The only place to get supported video card drivers for laptops is from the laptop vendor. Which is why you started to have issues when you went to AMD to do the updates. Uninstall all video drivers from the system, run DDU to clean it up. Go to ASUS support site and install the video drivers there, see if that helps.

Viking2121

Honorable
May 9, 2012

He went to AMD's website, Asus never has the latest drivers, AMD also made the video chips thats in that laptop, in fact its better if you go to AMD's website and download the drivers, and it should work without any fuss.

In fact the latest Asus has in from 2016, which may not be compatible with his updated version of windows.

http://prntscr.com/m2vnqv

Download a tool call Display Driver uninstaller, and remove any traces of AMD graphics drivers, and click on the box on the right to prevent windows from getting drivers for new devices and clean and reboot.

Go to AMD's website, and download the latest drivers, I recommend not using that auto detect tool, but manually downloading the drivers.

You'll have to find out what CPU you have in that laptop, that model came with a few different CPU's in the search box on AMD you will have to select Processor with Graphics, It ranges from A12 to A4, Make sure it does not say Desktop at the end.

AMD's website. https://www.amd.com/en/support

http://prntscr.com/m2vpb4

Solution

For laptops, the supported video card drivers are from the vendor web site. There are a lot of posts that start with "my dual graphics stopped working after I updated the drivers". Even though AMD and nVidia made the hardware, the way it's integrated on the motherboard and BIOS is up to the laptop vendor.

This is the note from nVidia about their laptop drivers

"As part of the NVIDIA Notebook Driver Program, this is a reference driver that can be installed on supported NVIDIA notebook GPUs. However, please note that your notebook original equipment manufacturer (OEM) provides certified drivers for your specific notebook on their website. NVIDIA recommends that you check with your notebook OEM about recommended software updates for your notebook. OEMs may not provide technical support for issues that arise from the use of this driver."

This is from AMD site

Mobility Radeon™ Family Compatibility
Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition 18.12.3 is a notebook reference graphics driver with limited support for system vendor specific features.

Viking2121

Honorable
May 9, 2012

While that may be true for Nvidia, But its not true for AMD, I also have a laptop with an AMD APU, A8 mind you and a stronger dedicated AMD graphics card, AMD drivers from their website work absolutely fine for both since both of them are from AMD.

While Nvidia tends to only be Intel/Nvidia, which why would they support Intel graphics, I get that. AMD is a bit different in that regard.