Dual Graphics Worries

anoobbuilder

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012
I just purchased a new laptop, acer 5560g with dual graphics. It has the a6 apu which has the 6520g integrated gpu as well as a dedicated amd 7670m. I did a test and ran cod5 at max settings with the fps dialogue open and when I disabled dual graphics (so it only the integrated graphics) I got the same framerate as I did when I used dual graphics (both the integrated and the 7670m dedicated graphics)

It's worried me a bit and leads me to believe its not performing as it should be (even though it does seem to perform fairly well) what do you think?

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
Is the laptop plugged into a working charger when you play games? If not, then CF is probably not active to conserve battery time. Also, what driver version are you using for your graphics?

Wisecracker

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2007
Does the 'bottom line' apply to your rig?

Trinity_Dual_Graphics_00.jpg

thepeanutguy

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
Hybrid crossfire doesn't work very well in some cases.
Looking at your IGP and the dedicated card and comparing it to the information on Notebookcheck, I've worked out that, being that the 7670M is simply a 6650M, your configuration does indeed exist (If that wasn't obvious already, lol) - Its a 6720G2. This new 7670M seems to exert better performance that the old 6650M (maybe due to better drivers, maybe higher clocks etc.); this may have an effect on how Hybrid crossfire is operating, due to the differences.

Driver issues are also a known problem and could be the source of the problem; perhaps a new release is available to download? I'd give that a try.

anoobbuilder

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012
Thanks for all the info, I've downloaded the latest driver and the performance feels a little better (could just be a placebo effect). Maybe you're right in saying that the apu works for the desktop and the other is for gaming. I don't think the "does not operate in dual graphics mode with single channel memory" applies to mine because the big selling point of this laptop was the "dual graphics". But in all honesty the way this laptops performing at the moment (in terms of gaming) I can't see the apu alone being able to do that.

Wisecracker

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2007
The point being, if you do not have 2 sticks of RAM, AMD dual-graphics will not operate. Do you have 2 sticks of RAM ?

OEMs screw-up all the time; it would not be a surprise. It's unlikely, but still possible.

Llano had issues with some DX9 titles, but Trinity is said to be much better. It's always possible that you may have found a title with a bug in your config that should be reported.

All kinds of stuff happens, and you patiently have to work solutions.