DV5T Heat Issues While Gaming

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pcfreak101

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
Ok, well I looked around, and the IdeaPad looks good, but I'm not too sure about the 2600. It is significantly below the 8600 even, let alone the 9600GT. I realize I may just have to make do with it, but before I decide, I forgot to ask you something. I have heard NO mention of the 9600GT heat problems on the DV7T. Can you confirm/deny this?

frozenlead

Distinguished
The nvidia 9 series is only changes to the older 8 series chips. the 9600mGT performs almost identically to the 8600mGT, just a hair faster in places. It will run cooler and use less power, yes - but the total heat output of the card isn't really the issue here. If you put an old nvidia TNT into a tiny case without adequate cooling, it'll melt down too. The reason notebooks get hot isn't because of the parts inside of them, it's because the designer skimped out on cooling units.

dwellman

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2002
Yeah, a lot of the problems can be aleviated by simply using a higher qualty thermal compound and making sure everything is cinched in properly.

I'm not advocating that such a practice be modus operandi, but in cases where the heat is "out of spec" with other machines of that type, it's worth a look.

Octave23

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
Hello I am using a DV5T-1000, 4gb ram, t9400 cup @ 2.53ghz

Nvidia 9600g

I Dual Boot, and in Vista home prem. x64 and XP-64

I while running some games, especially 'the Witcher' in XP; I noticed that my machine was feeling very hot. I installed Hmonitor to see just how hot it was getting.

Was Surprised
Under Max Video settings (1200X800) High Everything
GPU read ~90 c. CPU Cores just under that at 84-86c.

I felt foolish not to have noticed these extreme temps before, but turned my settings dn.
By Hacking my resolution dn to 800x600 and eliminating some texture depth I got my GPU dn to ~ 74c. and if I unplug the machine the CPU cores drop to ~ 60c.

Now, while idoling and No Extreme video apps My Cpu cores are 36c and GPU is 49c.

All this is pretty new to me, New Machine and all. I will reperform tests under Vista and add a thread. Other posts of actual temps would help to benchmark these temps. Perhaps it is normal opp. temp and HP has designed with this in account. But I seriously doubt these high temps can be good for computer.

I would like to Know ??? How can I take advantage of my High end graphics, without burnout??? Would this be a power setting tweak? Or does Nvidia have a utility to config for Heat Issues? So Far this machine runs great, High temps included, but want to insure long life :)

frozenlead

Distinguished
There isn't anything physically wrong with the hardware. 90C temps are pretty common for most gaming notebooks. It's just that HP chose a design that doesn't provide adequate cooling power for the GPU. This is the case with most budget gaming notebooks.