DV6 burnt(?) RAM

CptLang

Estimable
Jul 23, 2014
My dad recently had his dv6 start displaying signs of burnt/no ram.
ie: turns on, but screen stays black, and does no startup functions.
I dont see any physical signs of damage to the RAM chips. BTW, these are rather cheap 1333 ram, so is it possible that both sticks burned out at the same time? Have tried both sticks in either slot, and neither works in any configuration. No other ram around to try for now. I have also heard that this computer may treat the 2 slots as a single bank, and going by the fact it has never had an empty ram slot while operational seems plausible.
While any help is appreciated, this laptop was bought refurbed 3 years ago, and has done well, so bno biggie if it is dead, or i cant find a solution.

CptLang

Estimable
Jul 23, 2014

It's been a week or so since it happened, and I didn't find out until today, but I'll see if the ram does smell like smoke (would it still smell like smoke? Btw it had been sitting out of the comp for a few days) Now assuming that the ram is burned, why all of a sudden, and why both at the same time?

CptLang

Estimable
Jul 23, 2014

In title there was a questionmark next to the burnt ram.
I found out the ram was good when i put it in my sisters old g series, because it didnt smell burnt. The g62 runs faster than it ever has, with an upgrade from 8-16 gb.
After learning that the ram was ok, i put the 2 4gb sticks in the dv6, it didnt work. The 4gb sticks are operational, as well as the 8 gb ones that were in the dv.
Therefore good ram means bad dimm, no?

fooball

Estimable
Jun 14, 2014
DV6 has a very common defect. Does the lights turn on but not the screen? I have a HP tx2000 which couldn't turn on one day, but the indicator lights were flashing and on. I found that is was a nvidia chipset defect which hp refused to call back. The chipset had to be re flowed (but I didn't manage to do it). On google, I found that the HP dv series and tx series suffers from this defect.
This may be a temporary fix: http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-35186-hp-pavillion-dv6000-graphic-card-problem

fooball

Estimable
Jun 14, 2014

I'm guessing he means bad ram slot
He said he tested the ram and it works.

For my case with the hp tx2000 (similar to dv series), my ram worked too, but laptop didn't

fooball

Estimable
Jun 14, 2014

Reading your symptoms again, I'm now very sure that your laptop has the "black screen" chipset defect. This seems to be caused by overheating, combined with a not so good chipset.
Check this page, and I'm pretty sure you would find the same symptoms. You may be able to temporarily or permanently fix it (although permanently fixing it requires opening and using tools you may not have(which is what happened with me)).