EA Lays Off 300 in Montreal Studio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gundam288

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
Something tells me that this might be because of Sim City or the BF4 pre-order numbers don't look too good so far. Or maybe it's to cover "The Golden Parachute" of the leaving CEO? Anyway you look at it, it's sad they lost their jobs but it's also nice to see that EA is hurting from those 2 worst company awards back-to-back.

PadaV4

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
Dead corpse walking. I don't think anything can save ea now. They can change the ceo`s and what else they want, but it doesn't matter, because the greedy shareholders will still be there. Whoever they put in charge will be just a slave to corporate greed, and greed makes them blind. They don't see us customers, they don't hear our words, they see just numbers in their balances. bb EA.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
more reasons to not buy ea products, fire the people actually makign the games and likely they will increase prices of games again with the new consoles

yobobjm

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
The Issue we're facing here is, regardless of your thoughts on EA, the traditional style game developer is facing issues with the new way to sell games. They either have to make them massively marketed and hyped (which costs lots of money), make them all have large development cycles, decent marketing, and high quality, like we all love (but this yields not as much profic), or they make them free to play with limited development cycles and little short term gain, but potential long term gain. And none of these always work for the publisher, so they have serious income issues. We already lost THQ, and I think all the other companies are suffering.

dawolf74

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
But I thought that the gaming community was embracing the business model that EA has been trying to force feed us. If there were so many embraces going on, wouldn't EA need MORE developers?

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
John Riccitiello was a good start, but they need to get rid of the other executives like Peter Moore in order to really shake things up at EA. The company needs a house cleaning starting at the top. Hitting the bottom will not change anything. I also recall that's a Bioware studio that's getting hit. Worst Company in America indeed.

Heironious

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
Spend untold thousands of dollars at a university to become a game developer they said, it will be fun and rewarding they said.

Status
Not open for further replies.