EA: We're Blown Away By Wii U

Status
Not open for further replies.

fellfromgrace

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
I skipped the Wii generation but I'm looking forward to this thing. Only problem is my toddler just loves to throw my controllers to the xbox around. They are big, bulky and not to expensive so it's not a huge deal but I'll cry if he were to throw one of these haha

G

I wonder how much money had to change hands for EA to come out and say these things about the wiiU? Think I will stick to my PS3.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]fellfromgrace[/nom]I skipped the Wii generation but I'm looking forward to this thing. Only problem is my toddler just loves to throw my controllers to the xbox around. They are big, bulky and not to expensive so it's not a huge deal but I'll cry if he were to throw one of these haha[/citation]

they are 60$ last time i bought one, i think it was 3 or 4 years ago, but still.

the wii pad thing will likely sell at break even price, which is about 90$

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
you know where i can see thw wiiU being great for is madden or other football games making things go faster and opponent won't be able to see what your opponent it doing on the same screen. I also thought it owuld be neat for something like a dungeons and dragons type game people with thier own screen for inv and such but dungeon master more advanced controls and such... I'm optomistic abotu this being great for gamers

dread_cthulhu

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
[citation][nom]alhanelem[/nom]The vowels E and A are blown away by the vowel U....lol![/citation]

LOL... Language humor...
[citation][nom]article[/nom]EA: We're Blown Away By Wii U[/citation]

They're the only ones... Soooooo... lots of sports games! XD

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
[citation][nom]CyberAngel[/nom]no DirectX 11 level graphics means no future PC conversion support. It's a POS[/citation]

Knowing full well this will likely be voted down to oblivian

As a primary pc gamer I agree that dx11 does great things, I am very happy crysis 2 now supports it with the latest update and hope it continues to grow...

but on the console side they are looking at the bottom line. profit. they want to make consoles cheap and if dx11 compatable hardware increases cost then buisnesses are nto going to include it. While this sucks for us in the PC gamer community as game devs are leaning towards just porting console games over it may result in less implementation of dx11 for us, however from a purely fiscal standpoint it is understandable.

That said maybe the new sony and M$ offerings will have dx11 capability which would be great for us pc gamers. but I still thik it is an innovative input control system and in sports games (let's be honest that is mostly wha tis relevant to ea these days) it could work wonderfully

slabbo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
why would you think Nintendo even needs Direct X 11? They aren't going to license that, and they've been doing graphics long before MS created Direct X.

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
The difference between DX 11 and DX 10 is almost un-noticable.
The difference between DX 10 and DX 9 is very noticable.

I've seen the pictures comaring the differences I would say DX11 is a slight improvement of DX10. So you all need to stop b*tching!

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
What does EA expect Nintendo to do for them exactly? Did MS or Sony do something magical to make people buy more EA games on their consoles? The Wii was a flop because anyone looking for serious gaming was going to do it on a better console, and all the 65 year old women who bought one only bought it for Wii Sports.

And enough about DX11. The WiiU graphics are a quantum leap above the overclocked dinosaur that is the Wii. That is the most important thing. I'm sure PS4 and Xbox720 will be better, but as long as they are all out of the dark ages, cross platform development will be easier and the differences, while possibly noticeable, won't be night and day as they are now.

slabbo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
this isn't written by me, but taken from another thread:

"X-Box uses a form of Windows and so needs directX. Nintendo and Sony consoles run different operating systems (in Sony's case on the Cell chip) and DirectX is part of an OS specifically for Intel and AMD chips. Only recently have they begun working with ARM chips which have been around for ages.

In other words, DirectX is vendor lock-in. Period. Of course Nintendo and Sony may like the concept -- but part of their business model is selling system development kits to game makers then charging royalties. That in fact is why Sony disabled Linux on Playstation. They had suddenly enabled a rival free sdk which was better in many ways on a machine which costs less than the parts so they were taking a loss on every unit sold. But by the same token, putting someone else's property into an sdk is going to cut into your profits because there are royalty issues. And something which exists to enable vendor lock-in for someone else is madness.

There are arguments for and against Sony and Nintendo using Open GL. I won't even look up whether they do or not. There are arguments for and against their using proprietary libraries of their own. All of the above are valid. But to suggest that they use DirectX -- the arguments against are overwhelming."

Status
Not open for further replies.