EA: Xbox 360 is "Maxed Out" but Still Impressive

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
I also root for XBOX because Microsoft XBOX and Windows go hand in hand. If XBOX remains competitive we'll continue to have at least some decent games on PC as the port between these two systems is easier between MS products. So really, anyone interested in PC gaming should really be rooting for XBOX and Microsoft, not Sony or Nintendo. In a purist sense anyhow.

jerther

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
[citation][nom]p05esto[/nom]WII has it's audience, but I think it was more of a fad because it did soemthing "different". That got old fast and most people with a WII prob just let it collect dust now. Who really wants to be jumping around their living room?No, I'll take a lazy approach with HUGE TV, nice couch and an XBOX that pumps amazing (adult) graphics. PS is fine too, I just happen to like XBOX. But WII doesn't interest me at all, I have no desire to "move" my arms around like some moron who just picked up a controller for the first time and is trying to turn the controller. lol, not that I have not done it[/citation]

http://youtube.com/watch?v=oACt9R9z37U

:p looks like "looking like a moron" is our inevitable futur!!!!!

Anyways, as for the Wii, the only really good game that came out of it was the game that came with it: Wii Sports. This is why, here at least, the Wii doesn't do well: lack of good titles.

I have yet to try punch Out which seems very good though.

G

I thought the reason the PS3 hadn't been maxed out yet was because they intentionally made it difficult to build on, as explained by Kaz Hirai...

megamanx00

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
Maxed out? Hardly. Just because you've got the CPU at 100% load that doesn't mean you can't accomplish the same thing with 1/2 or 1/3 the number of cycles. Also, thanks to the decision to use universal shaders in the 360, new and interesting uses for those shaders will often be found on the PC and then a programmer can easily transfer those skills to programming shades for the 360. Of course all that is easier said than done. Few programmers have the right combination of talent, experience, and patience to squeeze out more performance by using better algorithims and making good trade offs in speed and accuracy, especially on a deadline. I think the coders at ID though are just such programmers so I bet the Rage engine will really come closer to maxing out the 360 than anything before it.

CptTripps

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
Meh, I bought em all but actually play the PC and 360 though. If there was more than boom blox I may play the Wii more. PS3 is my BR player, it might actually get some game time soon as the Sony lineup is looking not too bad right now (mostly rentals though, nothing worth buying).

fa_q2

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2008
This conversation is ludicrous. It is a fact that Wii has SO FAR won this gen or consul wars. It is all about money and consumer base. Wii not only outsells the Xbox but it broadens the audience to many more people making that much MORE of a winner this time around, not less of a winner. People here will not accept that because they do not like the Wii if can’t be the best system. Get over yourselves. The Wii was by far the best innovation in the gaming industry at the time. Where Sony and MS were just throwing bigger and faster hardware into the mix the Wii actually innovated the way their system worked. It is not a gimmick and it worked fabulously. MS would have lived to be the system that broadened their audience while making the same money Nintendo has made but it did not happen. I for one am glad that Nintendo derailed the idea that bigger and faster is the way to go. Now the next gen will not only have to be more powerful but it will also need to be innovative. I am not sure if Natal will ever materialize in the fashion that MS has given us but if it does it will surly destroy the competition. I believe that Nintendo MUST wake up and bring their system up to par with Sony and MS in the next gen because of Natal. If Xbox can appeal to the same crowd as Nintendo and they don’t offer something better, Nintendo may go the way of Sega and stick to their proprietary software. It will be very interesting to see how it all turns out. I personally cannot wait to if Natal is all that it is cracked up to be, it may just be the biggest thing to happen to consuls since the original Nintendo.

As for Sony, they were CRUSHED this time around. They had a few good ideas, their online for one, but completely failed in the delivery. Hell, the PS2 is still outselling the PS3 on many occasions. WOW. It is sad because I liked the PS2 so much more than the Xbox. I had hoped they would deliver the same caliber with an online environment that was on par with the 360’s but for a similar price. It is not to be and I really hope they can find an answer to Natal to force MS to stay competitive.

Nossy

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2005
Silly coming from a multiplatform developer. Even if the PS3 is more capable, would they (EA) make the PS3 version graphically better than the X360? Pshh you wish.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]Maxor127[/nom]Nintendo won the console wars a couple years ago. They set off a nuke and Sony and Microsoft are like two survivors fighting for the last scraps of food.[/citation]

Damn, you've hit the bottom of the ratings. Shame, I wanted to rate you down even more :)

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
PS3's GPU was maxed out from day one. They may be able to tap more potential from the amazing Cell Processor, but its moot because the GPU and memory will hold it back.

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
By best guess would be that both consoles are already maxxed out from a graphics point of view.

The video cards on both the 360 and PS3 from a raw graphics processing point of view aren't too far off from each other, so really the only difference in terms of remaining power would be the CPU.

Most gaming PC's are only running dual core processors (where as the 360 has 3 cores, the PS3 has 7), yet can blow both consoles out of the water in terms of graphics. Why? because the graphics cards in PC's are far superior.

So yes, the PS3 has more CPU processing power, but from a graphics point of view, it really can't do more than a 360. In the future I expect to see the PS3 pull ahead in respect to the scale of the games it provides, with larger environments, possibly greater levels of physics or computer AI, but the graphics will still be comparable on both.

joseph85

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
LOL luv the fanatical anti Nintendo hatred on these forums. Amazing that you people fight over toys soo much here now. Some people

joseph85

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
Again love the fantatical anti-nintendo stuff. Proof is in the sales numbers people. Games are a mere distraction and I am guessing most of you are so obsessed with them that anything that even looks like it'll bring developers out of this pretty graphics bs will hamper your lifestyle or something. Game are for distractions when board, nothing else. If the Wii is unused then good, less lumps of fat out there doing nothing. Even when it is used it makes people at least get off there lazy ass(something which I'm sure most of you probably have a problem with one way[physically]or the other[procrastination]). Now the real potential in games is(and has always been to me)A.I. or physics simulation that's it, end of story.

daveloft

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2008
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]i wouldnt say they "kicked them in the balls" perhaps they kicked sony in the balls , but MS is not nearly as far behind in sales as sony is. Plus the hardware is MUCH mnore powerful thjan the wii's and the 360 gets WAY more games than the wii does. i'd say nintendo only kicked MS in the shin , sure it hurts but 360 is still in the fight.I know they outsell MS by alogn shot still but ingeneral this is more area dependant , where i live i know 2 people that own a wii , and about 15 that own a 360, sayign taht theya re kickign the competion in the balls , just because they have a better gimick and Rp campaign is silly ther is more to measuring a system's worth than just sales figures for the console it's self , what you have to look at is GAME SALES and right now MS is leading in both First party and third party game sales. so yeah you could say that wii is kikcing 360's balls but at teh smae time you'd have to say the 360 is kicking wii in their nut sack at the same time[/citation]

Spoken like another uninformed fanboy. The Cell Processor is a CPU not a GPU, the PS3 uses a standard issue Geforce for graphics. Why are you comparing the PS3 CPU to the Xbox 360 GPU. The Xbox 360 uses a Radeon of similar specs and performance to that of the Geforce in the PS3. But at least the Radeon in the Xbox is actually a custom chip and not an off the shelf high end 7000 series Geforce.

Also software developers have yet to figure how to properly code for 2 cores let alone the 3 in the Xbox. This whole misinformation spreading around about how much more potential the PS3 has is such bullsh*t. Im not an Xbox fanboy, I don't even own one. I'm just a hardware enthusiast and know my specs and what they mean better than most.

Both PS3 and Xbox 360 has more processing power than they need. The graphics chips are holding them both back. Thats why most games are truly only rendered at or around 720P. They will both improve over time as developers get better at coding. To say otherwise is to prove the inadequacy of your opinion.

daveloft

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2008
The Wii has outsold the PS3 and Xbox 360 but I don't even put it in the same catagory, it just created a whole new one. Anyone I know who has a Wii also has a PS3 or Xbox 360. The true gamers console war is with the PS3 and Xbox 360.

Andraxxus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
When you make a game that is multiplatform you should not make the game compete with itself on the various platforms but with the other games that are out on that platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.