EA: Xbox 360 is "Maxed Out" but Still Impressive

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]afrobacon[/nom]To not call it a gaming console it like not calling a netbook a laptop.[/citation]By THAT logic I should be comparing sales of the current Eee PC to an Alienware M17x, and thus declare the Eee PC the winner. "It kicked the M17's butt! Cause it sold better, and you know, they're comparable products, same gen and all that."

That netbook vs laptop comparison doesn't exactly help your position. They aren't the same thing, they aren't in the same market. There's always some overlap, but they're really geared towards difference audiences. I would agree that the Wii is a part of this generation of consoles, but I don't believe it fully competes with either 360 or PS3.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Wii/PS3/Xbox/PC

Which do you choose?

I use the Xbox because it was the cheapest console. And I liked Microsoft more than sony. I wanted a Wii, but it seemed like a novelty more than a system.

In all reality, I choose the PC.
The best and biggest game lineup.
The only game that's missing is ChromeHounds and Too Human. (Mechwarrior was a PC game, so why didn't that awesome mech game go for pc?)

And for price comparison by the way...
Came across a neat article on a opposing site a bit back. Using eBay, craigslist, and Newegg.com, could they build something better than a console for less?
The answer, with a few used and new parts, was yes.
Consoles are better in the sense that the components can be pre-chosen and mass produced to be cheap and optimized. The software is also optimized for only one system configuration. This makes better software and cheaper hardware.
However the PC is better because it can harness the raw power of modern technology.

Owning a PC is like just having a next generation console. It costs the compariable as next gens console would be today also... a lot.

cabose369

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
yeh, its EA that doesn't know HOW to max out the console. All EA's games don't look that great. NFS series looks like ass, NHL and Madden for example are nothing to write home about. So far their best looking game to date, Skate 2, is not all that great either. It is merely ok. Like was already said.... EA struggles to maintain 30fps while other developers maintain 60fps.

Yet Turn 10 can make Forza 3 look just jaw dropping in looks. It looks sooo good. Mass Effect 1 looked really good and 2 looks even better.

The 360 is not maxed out.... EA is just too stupid to know how to max it our correctly resulting in good graphics.

afrobacon

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
[citation][nom]AlexTheBlue[/nom]By THAT logic I should be comparing sales of the current Eee PC to an Alienware M17x, and thus declare the Eee PC the winner. "It kicked the M17's butt! Cause it sold better, and you know, they're comparable products, same gen and all that."That netbook vs laptop comparison doesn't exactly help your position. They aren't the same thing, they aren't in the same market. There's always some overlap, but they're really geared towards difference audiences. I would agree that the Wii is a part of this generation of consoles, but I don't believe it fully competes with either 360 or PS3.[/citation]

Exactly my point, their geared for different audiences thus sales will be inflated (or deflated depending on what angle your looking from.) Which is why my first sentence was, "If your going by pure console sales."

Your also correct the Wii doesn't fully compare to the PS3/360; which is why I choose the netbook/laptop comparison as they also don't fully compare, but still do in the sense that their both a portable computer (much like the Wii/PS3/360 are all gaming consoles.)

G

For everyone who keeps saying that people who buy a Wii don't play it often are sorely misinformed. Although I myself consider myself a pc gamer, I also own a Wii and a Playstation 3, and the ONLY one I play on a regular basis is my Wii (of course, if I could afford a few pc upgrades that would probably change).
Oh and whoever it was that said the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 are "gaming consoles" and the Wii is an "entertainment system" have things reversed...a "gaming console" is something that plays games...an "entertainment system" is something that plays games, movies, music, ect...

kewl munky

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]Maxor127[/nom]Nintendo won the console wars a couple years ago. They set off a nuke and Sony and Microsoft are like two survivors fighting for the last scraps of food.[/citation]

Agreed. Though the Wii really isn't as fun as it was made out to be. The only games I've had interest in were Super Mario Galaxy and Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Both were really fun games but didn't keep me entertained for months. Wii Sports was really fun too but is more of a game you want to play with three or four people. I think the main reason for the high Wii sells was just marketing and built up hype. I've wanted to sell my Wii for some time (have had it for under a year) but I was hoping for some great games to be released. Sadly I have only seen one game to look forward to, and that's New Super Mario Bros. which I'll probably just rent and play on my brother's Wii so that I can just sell mine.

DXRick

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
You all do realize that the Wii is selling like hotcakes because so many parents are buying it for their spoiled children. Adults, that are into console gaming, are buying the Xbox 360 or PS3 for themselves.

You could also say that Ken and Barbie outsell the Xbox 360 and PS3. People spend a lot on their kids and pets.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
That the Wii won the war is contingent on it being in the war in the first place. It's a different machine, with a different audience. Do you really think a lot of people bought the Wii instead of the PS3 or $#itbox 360? Nintendo did a great job of getting a new group of people to buy their product, a group that far outnumbers the hardcore gaming community, so naturally their numbers are very good. But, that doesn't mean it was at a big cost to Microsoft or Sony. They reached people their consoles would not have reached. In the long term, it could be good for all three. This assumes, of course, Microsoft can finally realize that hardware should be more reliable than their software.

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
Impressive? I don't find any of the current consoles impressive at all. PS2 was impressive but not that bunch of... nothingness.
Before consoles stood for something extraordinary something that PC users could only dream about and now what are the consoles? Just a bunch of ordinary PC components and quite probably overpriced.

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]kami3k[/nom]Well duh the PS3 will take longer to max out, thought not that long. I highly doubt the xbox is maxed out yet as well. Give it when Crysis 2 comes out on it, then it will be maxed out Same with PS3, so I guess they will be maxed out at the same time, so ignore what I first said.[/citation]

XBOX is probably maxed out. It is not something that was not present and unknown on the market before. The Radeon tech inside it is on the market for years now.
PS3 at least has the Cell processor and in my knowledge not many programmers have mastered it yet.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]B-Unit[/nom]Umm, have you not seen sales numbers lately? The Wii outsells PS3 and 360 combined most months...Just because you have no use for it doesnt mean that Nintendo didnt kick M$ and Sony in the balls.[/citation]

i wouldnt say they "kicked them in the balls" perhaps they kicked sony in the balls , but MS is not nearly as far behind in sales as sony is. Plus the hardware is MUCH mnore powerful thjan the wii's and the 360 gets WAY more games than the wii does. i'd say nintendo only kicked MS in the shin , sure it hurts but 360 is still in the fight.I know they outsell MS by alogn shot still but ingeneral this is more area dependant , where i live i know 2 people that own a wii , and about 15 that own a 360, sayign taht theya re kickign the competion in the balls , just because they have a better gimick and Rp campaign is silly ther is more to measuring a system's worth than just sales figures for the console it's self , what you have to look at is GAME SALES and right now MS is leading in both First party and third party game sales. so yeah you could say that wii is kikcing 360's balls but at teh smae time you'd have to say the 360 is kicking wii in their nut sack at the same time

gamerk316

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
Considering the poor quality of most of EA's games (especially Madden), I'm not shocked they said something like this; its to cover up their own poor quality.

G

Umm...some of you guys need to stop worrying about your consoles and start worrying about your inability to communicate effectively using the English language.

hack__you

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
If sales is not the stat we're going to use for the "Winner" argument then Neo-Geo and the Dreamcast won the console wars during their time because they have "Great games"

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Wow, so this topic got derailed.

Did anyone else have a thought about the original topic or do you want to keep arguing over whose is bigger?

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
[citation][nom]tenor77[/nom]Wow, so this topic got derailed. Did anyone else have a thought about the original topic or do you want to keep arguing over whose is bigger?[/citation]

Let's see... article title: EA: Xbox 360 is "Maxed Out" but Still Impressive

You thought this article wasn't an invitation to a measuring contest? That was incredibly optimistic on your part.

Vettedude

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
To anybody who thinks the Wii won the console wars:

They didn't. The Wii sucks. When my parents bought one, they said "We'll use it all the time." lol. The only time it gets used is the once a month time when I play Brawl over the internet with some friends. This is the way with all my friends with Wii's.

Save up a little longer and get a 360 or PS3. I still play my PS2 on a regular basis because games are still made for it, and the games don't suck. A 10 year old system that has better games (for me at least) than a 7th gen system. The Wii isn't even a gaming console. Its an ugly with box that sits under my TV around all the black accessories.

thegh0st

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
[citation][nom]Dudikus Maximo[/nom]Oh and whoever it was that said the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 are "gaming consoles" and the Wii is an "entertainment system" have things reversed...a "gaming console" is something that plays games...an "entertainment system" is something that plays games, movies, music, ect...[/citation]
I see the point you are trying to make, but dude - Assassin's Creed is a "game" and Solitaire is a "game". If the logic of you argument held true though then my cell phone is a gaming console - wait I mean "entertainment system"! People calling the XBOX360/PS3 "gaming consoles" is because they/we consider them to play things that are actually "games". I have heard the Wii has a few games per say and some nostalgic games (gee wonder why this is? because they are old and it can handle them?) but for the most, and I will speak for myself here, I hardly consider anything I have seen on the Wii as a real game.

hmmm...maybe I should develop a $50 "gaming console" that plays hearts & solitaire and win the next-gen console war!!! we can pull together the resources of tom's readers here maybe to! =)

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
WII has it's audience, but I think it was more of a fad because it did soemthing "different". That got old fast and most people with a WII prob just let it collect dust now. Who really wants to be jumping around their living room?

No, I'll take a lazy approach with HUGE TV, nice couch and an XBOX that pumps amazing (adult) graphics. PS is fine too, I just happen to like XBOX. But WII doesn't interest me at all, I have no desire to "move" my arms around like some moron who just picked up a controller for the first time and is trying to turn the controller. lol, not that I have not done it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS