Easy to carry Laptop for school

ManDudeGuy

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
1. What is your budget?
Target is ~$500 USD, can be stretched if necessary.
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
Small, 15" is way too big
3. What screen resolution do you want?
So long as it's not a real funky resolution, something closer the more standard resolutions.
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Portable all the way, I'm carrying this everyday.
5. How much battery life do you need?
Something decent (6hrs or something close)
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Should be able to handle side-scrollers and up to dreamcast like games (decent OpenGL Support for SFML2.1)
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Homework, programming, youtube
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
320GB should be more than enough.
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
http://www.newegg.com/ and http://us.ncix.com/ (US)
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
As long as it will function, the longer the better. In a perfect world until the internet becomes too much for the machine.
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
Not needed, maybe except for Windows
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
No Preference
13. What country do you live in?
United States
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I really would like to have this be a dual boot machine, booting predominantly in minty Linux, I prefer Linux to Windows given the desired function of this laptop. Preferably something that runs cool and is small, NOT after a gaming machine.

ManDudeGuy

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012

Well like I said, 15" is way too big. It's really good otherwise, it's just too big. Small is really one of the biggest factors, something I can carry around with fair ease that I can take out with "setting it up", I've had 15 incher before and that was really cumbersome to take out and put back all the time.

If you have a different take on this just send me the message.

cramved

Honorable
Nov 9, 2012

so you your looking for a 11-13 inch

ManDudeGuy

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012

Looks good, it seems to support opengl 4 as well. Do you think I'll have any problems with FBOs or VBOs?

I'll mark as solution if it seems that there are no issues with that and someone else gives their thumbs up to it.

Thanks much!

cramved

Honorable
Nov 9, 2012

no problem