eHarmony Gets Hacked

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

like anyone on Tom's would use a service like eHarmony and PlentyOfFish.......

illo

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
so basically a guy found out a security flaw, wanted to charge eharmony for it, eharmony said no, and now they got hacked?

seems kinda....deserved?

gurboura

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010
So, someone finds a flaw, and they don't want to pay them for finding the flaw? Wouldn't it be easier to just pay the guy and get it over with without having bad press of being hacked?

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]illo[/nom]so basically a guy found out a security flaw, wanted to charge eharmony for it, eharmony said no, and now they got hacked?seems kinda....deserved?[/citation]
[citation][nom]gurboura[/nom]So, someone finds a flaw, and they don't want to pay them for finding the flaw? Wouldn't it be easier to just pay the guy and get it over with without having bad press of being hacked?[/citation]

Guy: I found a security issue with your website, you should fix it, and do I get a finders fee?

eHarmony: We don't believe you, no finders fee, but would you be interested in trying out our relationship website (no Homos!)?

Guy: Uh, no thanks on the relationships, and yes, you do have a flaw, I'll prove it.
*guy hacks eharmony*

eHarmony: Hacker! Foul Villain!

media: Vile hacker targets dating website, eHarmony claims they were "working on a fix" to an issue they had already discovered in-house, and had confirmed to exist with an independent security agent.

I'm not saying all hackers are peaceful, far from it. But with these stories, you never know what truth you're getting.

RipperjackAU

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
Serves them right, for all those so called "free" weekends.

Guided communication = Choose from preset prompts that don't allow you to send any contact details to your prospective victim... er, I mean date.

Still got to pay their extortionist fees of you want contact details.

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
Sounds like this Russo guy wasn't the good guy that the first article made him out to be. When the plenty of fish guy blasted him claiming he was extorting the site for money it seemed very fishy, but now with this incident it's pretty clear that Russo is trying to shake sites down.

And the everyone here saying that somehow this was deserved because they didn't pay the guy; what if this guy came after tom's and stole your personal data. I have a feeling that the comments would have a much different tone.

nasqb112

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
"When the plenty of fish guy blasted him claiming he was extorting the site for money it seemed very fishy"

Hmmm...fishy indeed!

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
[citation][nom]Darkk[/nom]I think all of this is nothing more than a P.R. stunt.[/citation]
P.R. stunt for who tho? Russo to get a job and appear at black hat confrences?
it certainly isn't good press for the sites!
"we got hacked every one is at risk, but the premium members who used paypal or their credit cards, they have that info too!"
i'm curious if Russo has tried this security flaw with facebook or farmville or the other games, since it's third party libraries that are the problem.
i'm just curious as to what the flaw is, i want to know now!

sinfulpotato

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
I'm sorry, but if some guy found a flaw that could release this kind of information I would want him to prove it to me and then I would compensate him. In fact I might offer him a job because my own team failed where he did not.

geeknation

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
^ I agree. But first I'd have my own team do it. However my question is how did Russo come across this problem?

Russo: *google searches eHarmony*
Results: How to hack eHarmony in 5 easy steps!
Russo: "Oh no! I better tell them right away, this could be a problem!"

I highly doubt it was that innocent. I mean what would a competing company be doing going through the competitions coding that could be of any good reason. And as for those who say that eHarmony deserves to get hacked for not paying, that's not true. Rather they deserve to be hacked for not noticing the issue themselves, if they deserve it at all.

fladder80

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
To those who say "good job hacker":
So, if i came by unasked and do your garden maintenance, then charge you for it, and you would refuse to pay, i'm in my right to wreck your garden?? Even though you didn't ask me in the first place?

beachbod

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]fladder80[/nom]To those who say "good job hacker":So, if i came by unasked and do your garden maintenance, then charge you for it, and you would refuse to pay, i'm in my right to wreck your garden?? Even though you didn't ask me in the first place?[/citation]

+20

Status
Not open for further replies.