Elder Scrolls Online Review: More MMO than RPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

schleima

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2011
The original Elder Scrolls game, Arena, allowed you to visit all the provinces of Tamriel. Daggerfall was the first game that limited you to one province.

ubercake

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
This is really a good review. I would add that the graphics in this game are among the best I've seen of any MMO if you have the right GPU setup.

cats_Paw

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
Here it says this game is "Bigger" than any previous Elder scrolls. Would that include Daggerfall (62 square miles)? :D.
That sounds good.
Still, not paying 15 bucks a month. three reasons for it:
1) You wont get your money back if there is lag, disconnects and similar server related issues.

2) I work 8 hours a day and apart from that have other obligations. How much time exactly would I even play this each month? The answer is simple: I currently have over 20 games that I Bought on Steam for cheap and have not even managed to start them.

3) I dont like to be dependant on Internet. Ofc every online game has this limitation, but it does not mean I have to like it.

SteveWalsh82

Estimable
Apr 16, 2014
Why didn't you mention all the issues this game is having? The worst launch I have been in. I lost bank space and items, got stuck in the Cyrodiil screen until a GM actually fixed me, had broken quests that impeded my progression, and much more.

The first two days were pretty smooth, but starting with the third and after the game has turned into an unplayable mess.

At least their support let me cancel my 6 month subscription.

I really like what they tried to do, but they failed on oh so many levels.

Take a closer look at http://mmogfails.blogspot.com/ to see some of the things they messed up on. Also be sure to check out the official forums and reddit.

jlhenrik

Estimable
Apr 15, 2014
Why didn't you mention all the issues this game is having? The worst launch I have been in. I lost bank space and items, got stuck in the Cyrodiil screen until a GM actually fixed me, had broken quests that impeded my progression, and much more.

The first two days were pretty smooth, but starting with the third and after the game has turned into an unplayable mess.

At least their support let me cancel my 6 month subscription.

I really like what they tried to do, but they failed on oh so many levels.

Take a closer look at http://mmogfails.blogspot.com/ to see some of the things they messed up on. Also be sure to check out the official forums and reddit.

I have been part of many MMO launches and I'm sorry you personally had a bad experience, however from my desk tho I had one of the best game launches ever. No que times, to wait in, game ran smooth with no crashes. People complained about broken quests yet I completed the entire zones up to and including stonefalls with out any interruption so as I mentioned earlier the launch wasn't bad for everyone. Furthermore If your expecting a game to have a flawless launch you are seriously setting yourself up for disappointment. Two weeks in and they are on track and I haven't had any issues at all. You claim they fail on so many levels? Graphics, Sound, Solid voice acting with interesting lore. Great quest progression with no grind feeling at all. A talent point system that lets you develop a character. Fresh combat system, dynamic crafting that actually makes you want to get involved. PVP is also enjoyed by many so I'm not sure exactly how this game is failing on so many levels. What I just mentioned are the reason I would play an MMO.

mrpantson

Estimable
Apr 17, 2014
You can add mods in game not to the extent of Skyrim.

I have been part of every major MMO release and The Elder Scrolls Online was the best launch I have ever participated.

David Moloney

Estimable
Mar 11, 2014
Here it says this game is "Bigger" than any previous Elder scrolls. Would that include Daggerfall (62 square miles)? :D.
That sounds good.
Still, not paying 15 bucks a month. three reasons for it:
1) You wont get your money back if there is lag, disconnects and similar server related issues.

2) I work 8 hours a day and apart from that have other obligations. How much time exactly would I even play this each month? The answer is simple: I currently have over 20 games that I Bought on Steam for cheap and have not even managed to start them.

3) I dont like to be dependant on Internet. Ofc every online game has this limitation, but it does not mean I have to like it.

The annoying thing about this particular subscription is that, if you are working you can't play very much. So you're wasting your money and if you're not working you can't really afford to keep up with the payments until you get a job which just goes back to the first point. I don't know how some people can afford the game and play all the time. Prehaps part timers and people still in Uni are able to spend more time on the game but people like myself, working 8-5 Monday to Friday and people to see on the weekends I don't really get much time to play the elder scrolls. So who would honestly put THAT much money into a game that most people aren't going to get time to get their moneys worth out of?

With GW2 I can rot on the game when I return home from work, waste away in front of it on the weekends and maybe spend some time on there during a weeks holiday from work or something. With this game, I wouldn't dream of wasting so much money on a game I can hardly play. It'd be heart wrenching having to cancel a subscription for a game that you already brought for over £40

Ray Slusser

Estimable
Feb 27, 2015
All games seem to be a little buggy on their multiplayer at launch. I just hope once the game launches on Xbox One that I don't have too many problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.