Question Electric fireplace causing TV to flicker

Dec 11, 2022
In my living room I have a TV, satellite box, electric fireplace and PS4. For the past year all four have been working perfectly fine together, but recently the TV flickers whenever I power down the fireplace. I noticed that this only happens when the satellite box is switched on and not on the PS4. So I then switched the HDMI cables around and now it only happens when the PS4 is on.

So basically when I switch off my fireplace, the image on my TV will flicker black for a second then resume to the normal picture. This issue only occurs with this one specific HDMI and doesn't effect anything else connected to the TV. The fireplace and HDMI are not connected in any way and I don't get any issue when turning the fireplace on, only off.

Could my fireplace be interfering with a HDMI cable that is not connected to at all or should I be worried that this is an electrical problem that I should be concerned about?

(The screen just flickers for a second, no device gets powered off when this occurs)

Any help would be much appreciated.

Etrius vanRandr

Prominent
BANNED
May 11, 2022
In my living room I have a TV, satellite box, electric fireplace and PS4. For the past year all four have been working perfectly fine together, but recently the TV flickers whenever I power down the fireplace. I noticed that this only happens when the satellite box is switched on and not on the PS4. So I then switched the HDMI cables around and now it only happens when the PS4 is on.

So basically when I switch off my fireplace, the image on my TV will flicker black for a second then resume to the normal picture. This issue only occurs with this one specific HDMI and doesn't effect anything else connected to the TV. The fireplace and HDMI are not connected in any way and I don't get any issue when turning the fireplace on, only off.

Could my fireplace be interfering with a HDMI cable that is not connected to at all or should I be worried that this is an electrical problem that I should be concerned about?

(The screen just flickers for a second, no device gets powered off when this occurs)

Any help would be much appreciated.

Have the grounding wires in your house checked by a professional.

My apartment is so old that my PC speakers pop when my refrigerator's compressor shuts off because the building's grounding was done improperly. My desktop's USB 2.0 resets if my phone is plugged into it and is touching the fridge (my minifridge is next to my PC and I set my phone on it sometimes).