Question EMERGENCY!!! Laptop shutdowns few seconds after startup (only on battery)

May 21, 2019
My laptop shutdowns after boot on battery and is unable to boot up again unless the charger is attached. The battery is new and it has something to do with the Speedstep. When I disable it, the laptop does not shutdown immediately after boot, but this significantly increases the boot time and obviously uses more battery.
My other option is to enable both Speedstep and CPU performance mode in the bios to avoid this but the CPU frequency and utilization is inconsistent/unstable causing the temperature to raise. Either way the laptop shutdowns are inevitable if on battery (however sometimes lasts till 20%) and refuses to power up unless plugged in. The CPU also seems to randomly get stuck at 800mhz randomly when the CPU performance mode is disabled.

Last edited:
First need to list system brand and model so we know what this thing is. If it won't work on battery it may be a bad battery (even if new if you got a cheap one it can easily be bad), or a motherboard issue, or a heat issue. Did you try anything already like cleaning it out and applying new thermal paste?

May 21, 2019
Its and alienware 15 r2, the battery worked fine for few weeks and this issue is relatively new. The temp is 50-70 degrees while browsing and watching videos, the thermal was applied few months ago and I cleaned the system ad best I could.

Its and alienware 15 r2, the battery worked fine for few weeks and this issue is relatively new. The temp is 50-70 degrees while browsing and watching videos, the thermal was applied few months ago and I cleaned the system ad best I could.

Is it a real Dell/Alienware battery or some cheap Chinese copy? If it's a cheap copy, first thing I would think is that the battery is bad, but really depends on exactly how the system acts. It could be an issue with the motherboard. Not very easy to troubleshoot without replacing things.

May 21, 2019
Well that is exactly what I trying to narrow down the system starts up but like said shuts down immediately after however if I disable the speed step the it does not so I am not sure if the motherboard or battery. The battery is new and I was told it was genuine and looks the part.